Archivematica 1.15.0 released

Douglas Cerna

Oct 12, 2023, 4:15:53 PM10/12/23
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
Hello Archivematica Community,

We are pleased to let you know that the 1.15.0 release of Archivematica and 0.21.0 release of Storage Service are now available. As per our release plans for 2023, this release includes support for Ubuntu 22.04 and Rocky Linux 9.0, and upgrades to MySQL and Django.

Here are links to:

Release notes
Installation instructions

Please let us know if you have any questions or feedback.
--
Douglas Cerna (he/him),
Software Developer, Artefactual Systems Inc.

Zhang, Bin

Oct 13, 2023, 5:41:23 PM10/13/23
to archiv...@googlegroups.com

Thank you!

I tried to install using the manual install instruction for ubuntu 22.04, and ran into an issue:

Err:8 https://packages.archivematica.org/1.15.x/ubuntu jammy Release

  404  Not Found [IP: 68.183.194.240 443]

Reading package lists... Done

W: https://artifacts.elastic.co/packages/6.x/apt/dists/stable/InRelease: Key is stored in legacy trusted.gpg keyring (/etc/apt/trusted.gpg), see the DEPRECATION section in apt-key(8) for details.

E: The repository 'http://packages.archivematica.org/1.15.x/ubuntu jammy Release' does not have a Release file.

N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.

N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

W: http://packages.archivematica.org/1.15.x/ubuntu-externals/dists/jammy/InRelease: Key is stored in legacy trusted.gpg keyring (/etc/apt/trusted.gpg), see the DEPRECATION section in apt-key(8) for details.

Looks like the repository is not ready yet?

--

Bin Zhang (he/him)

Systems & Technology Librarian

Library Systems & IT Services

California State University, Sacramento

bzh...@csus.edu | +1 916-278-5664

Douglas Cerna

Oct 13, 2023, 10:21:33 PM10/13/23
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

That's correct. We expect to have the package repository ready early next week after we update our build server. I'll announce it in this thread when it's done.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Night Owl

Oct 13, 2023, 11:48:07 PM10/13/23
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
Where are the manual install instructions? I don't see them. I only have a Windows host so need to do it that way.

Zhang, Bin

Oct 14, 2023, 12:02:26 AM10/14/23
to archiv...@googlegroups.com

I was referring to the manual install for ubuntu 22.04, and the instructions are here:

https://www.archivematica.org/en/docs/archivematica-1.15/admin-manual/installation-setup/installation/install-ubuntu/#install-pkg-ubuntu

I don’t think Windows is supported, and there is no instructions for windows that I’m aware of.

-Bin

Night Owl

Oct 14, 2023, 12:19:22 AM10/14/23
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
Perfect thank you. The automated install says it won’t run if the host is windows so I need the manual option.  Thanks so much.

Douglas Cerna

Oct 18, 2023, 7:52:00 PM10/18/23
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

We have just published our DEB and RPM packages and updated the installation documentation accordingly.

Let us know if you find any issues.

Zhang, Bin

Oct 25, 2023, 2:57:45 PM10/25/23
to archiv...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Douglas!

I started to try to install using the manual installation instructions, and ran to a couple issues:

  1. This is not serious, but since the apt-key is deprecated, I had to change “… | sudo apt-key add –“  to “… | sudo tee /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/archivematica.asc”

  2. Mysql credentials: Looks like the mysql passwords are hard-coded in the install scripts, but the MYSQL server did not accept “demo”:

sudo mysql -p -e "CREATE USER 'archivematica'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'demo';"sudo mysql -e "GRANT ALL ON SS.* TO 'archivematica'@'localhost';"

Enter password:

ERROR 1819 (HY000) at line 1: Your password does not satisfy the current policy requirements

Is there any way to change the initial passwords?  Without it I could not continue. The archivematica-storage-service package could not be completed without the errors.

I would appreciate any advice on this.

-Bin

Douglas Cerna

Oct 25, 2023, 7:16:09 PM10/25/23
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
Hello Bin,

Thanks for the feedback. You are correct. The MySQL credentials are hardcoded in the Storage Service DEB package to match the contents generated in the /etc/default/archivematica-storage-service file.

It seems like you might have the MySQL validation password component or plugin enabled. If customizing or deactivating those is not an option, you could create the archivematica MySQL user with a password that satisfies your policy, and then install the archivematica-storage-service package and let it fail when it tries to set up the database. You'll see an error like:

django.db.utils.OperationalError: (1045, "Access denied for user 'archivematica'@'localhost' (using password: YES)")

But the installation will create the /etc/default/archivematica-storage-service file where you can update the SS_DB_URL environment variable to use your policy compliant password.

After that you will need to run:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure archivematica-storage-service

to let the package to set up the database.

Finally, as instructed in step 9 of the manual installation docs, when the archivematica-mcp-server package prompts you to set a password for the archivematica user you'll need to use your policy compliant password instead of demo.

Hope this helps.

Zhang, Bin

Oct 26, 2023, 2:52:29 PM10/26/23
to archiv...@googlegroups.com

Hello Douglas,

Thank you for the tips.  Will this approach allow me to specify a remote database server for both archivematica-storage-service and archivematica-mcp-server, or would you recommend setting up the databases locally during the installation, and move the database to another server as a post-install step?

Thanks!

-Bin

Image removed by sender.

Miguel Angel Medinilla Luque

Oct 27, 2023, 9:23:59 AM10/27/23
to archivematica
Morning,

We are preparing new debian packages to fix the issues:

* Allow storage service database settings using dbconfig.
* Delete old virtualenv
* Allow to use a different server for databases

We expect to have them published this Monday or Tuesday.

Thanks,

Miguel