Folder structure-preserving DIP

Robin François

Dec 10, 2020, 10:15:35 AM12/10/20
to archivematica
Dear all,

We are currently evaluating Archivematica for long term storage of digital data, and we are facing a usecase where we would like the DIP to keep the folder structure of the transfered data, just like the AIP is keeping the structure.

Would that be easily doable in Archivematica, or do you think is would be better to write a script to do it based on a "traditional" DIP with no original folder structure?

Regards
--
Robin FRANCOIS
Digital archivist

Tessa Walsh

Dec 14, 2020, 10:51:18 AM12/14/20
to archivematica
Hi Robin,

You want want to look at the `zipped-objects` type DIP that can be created from an AIP by the `create_dip.py` script in the Automation Tools repository: https://github.com/artefactual/automation-tools#dip-creation-and-upload. This was developed for the Canadian Centre for Architecture when I was a digital archivist there to create DIPs that restore the original structure, filenames, file formats, and even timestamps (as much as possible given Archivematica configuration) from the transfer, but with a copy of the AIP METS and a separate METS for the DIP: https://github.com/artefactual/automation-tools#dip-creation-and-upload. Such DIPs can be useful for complex digital objects such as website source code and CAD files, in which files may rely on relative filepaths to other files within the DIP to render correctly. And if that's not quite what you're looking for, it might provide a model of one possible way forward for you.

Cheers,
Tessa

Robin François

Dec 14, 2020, 10:57:24 AM12/14/20
to archivematica
Hi Tessa,

Thanks for that answer. I will have a look at it and get back to the community.

Regards,
Robin