Any fits-nailgun network requirements?

arth...@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2024, 2:10:50 PMApr 22
to archivematica
Hi everyone,
I have a problem with fits-nailgun on confined MZ network.
I realized that if the VM in which it is installed has free access to the external network, everything works correctly.
However, if the VM is in a confined network (MZ), the process freezes at characterizing and extract metadata without any useful log.
Always in a confined network, by deactivating FITS from the characterization commands (Preservation Planning) everything works correctly.
So I wondered if using the fits-nailgun service has any network requirements but I couldn't find anything.
Has anyone had the same problem and has more precise information about it?
Thanks in advance

at

Douglas Cerna

Apr 22, 2024, 4:18:34 PMApr 22
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I think the FITS Nailgun server runs on port 2113 by default.

See the "Overriding Defaults" section of https://www.martiansoftware.com/nailgun/quickstart

I see it listening in one of our Ubuntu 22.04 servers with Archivematica 1.15:

$ sudo lsof -nP -i:2113
COMMAND PID          USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
java    739 archivematica   44u  IPv6  21802      0t0  TCP *:2113 (LISTEN)

And it's also the port we expose in the Docker image we use in our development environment.

Hope this helps.

Douglas Cerna (he/him),
Software Developer, Artefactual Systems Inc.
http://www.artefactual.com
Message has been deleted

arth...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2024, 11:07:43 AMApr 23
to archivematica
Thanks so much Douglas,
from what I can see, port 2113 is used for inbound calls.
Do you think it could be the same port for outbound calls?
In fact I don't understand why fit-naigun doesn't work in MZ, since the same VM hosts all the pipeline services (MCP Server & Client, Gearmand, etc.).
However, in a few hours I should try to filter all port except 2113.

arth...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2024, 1:15:56 PMApr 23
to archivematica
If the VM has no access to internet, the Ingest fails at "Characterize and extract metadata on submission documentation" cause the fits-nailgun freezes with the following log:

Caused by: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:210)
at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:141)
at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:224)
at java.io.DataInputStream.readInt(DataInputStream.java:387)
at com.martiansoftware.nailgun.NGInputStream.readChunk(NGInputStream.java:260)
at com.martiansoftware.nailgun.NGInputStream.lambda$null$0(NGInputStream.java:119)
... 4 more
Apr 23, 2024 4:42:04 PM com.martiansoftware.nailgun.NGSession run
INFO: NGSession shutting down

If you stop the fits-nailgun, the Ingest process continues to the end, at Store AIP.

I have seen others with a similar problem but I can't identify a solution or, in others words, the strict requirements for fits-nailgun service.

Douglas Cerna

Apr 23, 2024, 1:37:26 PMApr 23
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
Could it be that the service is trying to get XML catalogs for its tools? I've seen problems with FITS  and Jhove in QA servers when they cannot access XML schemas hosted in servers like the Library of Congress because of CDN (e.g. Cloudfare) restrictions. So I presume those tools need access to the internet to some degree.

Because of similar problems, in https://github.com/artefactual/archivematica/pull/1827 we implemented a local XML catalog for libxml2/lxml in Archivematica.

I wonder if there's a similar alternative for Java.