How to keep Dashboard clean and fast?

Thiago Luna

Sep 26, 2019, 11:40:25 AM9/26/19
to archivematica
Hi, folks!

Is there any way to keep dashboard clean?

Every transfer executed stay on dashboard and every time I reload dashboard page (Transfer or Ingest), the Arhivematica run many sql selects to list all transfers and microservices made  and the time to reload all itens take so long.

Regards,

Thiago Luna
National Archives of Brazil

Sara Allain

Sep 26, 2019, 11:50:56 AM9/26/19
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thiago,

We recommend clearing out the Transfer and Ingest tabs periodically using the red delete icon. Here is documentation for clearing the Transfer tab and for clearing the Ingest tab. Note that these links are for Archivematica 1.10 but the functionality has been in place for a few versions now.

Regards,
Sara

--

Sara Allain, MI
Systems Archivist

Thiago Luna

Sep 26, 2019, 2:38:35 PM9/26/19
to archivematica
Thank you, Sara, for your reply.

How can I find a transfer or ingest after clearing the dashboard?

On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 8:40 AM Thiago Luna <thiag...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, folks!

Is there any way to keep dashboard clean?

Every transfer executed stay on dashboard and every time I reload dashboard page (Transfer or Ingest), the Arhivematica run many sql selects to list all transfers and microservices made  and the time to reload all itens take so long.

Regards,

Thiago Luna
National Archives of Brazil

Sara Allain

Sep 26, 2019, 4:48:12 PM9/26/19
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
Once you have cleared a transfer or ingest from the dashboard, you can't bring it back to the dashboard. This is why the documentation says to make sure that the transfer/ingest is in a completed state (failed/rejected or completed/stored) before clearing it.

If you have cleared a transfer/ingest that was not complete (i.e. it was awaiting a decision), you can resolve those hanging decision points using mcp-rcp-cli, a command-line tool for interacting with Archivematica's MCP Client. There are instructions on how to do that here: Resolve Hanging Decisions

After they're cleared from the dashboard, you can still get information about the transfer/ingest by querying the MySQL database, though you likely need the UUID of the transfer/ingest in order to find the correct logs.

Regards,
Sara

--

Sara Allain, MI
Systems Archivist

Karl Goetz

Sep 26, 2019, 7:03:04 PM9/26/19
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 26 Sep 2019 08:50:15 -0700
Sara Allain <sal...@artefactual.com> wrote:

> Hi Thiago,
>
> We recommend clearing out the Transfer and Ingest tabs periodically using
> the red delete icon. Here is documentation for clearing the Transfer tab
> <https://www.archivematica.org/en/docs/archivematica-1.10/user-manual/transfer/transfer/#cleaning-up-the-transfer-dashboard>
> and for clearing the Ingest tab
> <https://www.archivematica.org/en/docs/archivematica-1.10/user-manual/ingest/ingest/#cleanup-ingest>.

> On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 8:40 AM Thiago Luna <thiag...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi, folks!
> >
> > Is there any way to keep dashboard clean?

I can't find a reference at the moment but I remember there being a discussion of a cron job to do the cleanup automatically - can anyone
find a reference?
Being able to remove all jobs older than X weeks in a completed state would be beneficial to many groups.

thanks,

--
Karl Goetz
Technical Services Officer - eResearch, Information Technology Services

Mail: University of Tasmania, Private Bag 69, Hobart, Tasmania 7001
Delivery: TT Flynn Street, Sandy Bay, Tasmania 7005

Bonnie Gordon

Sep 27, 2019, 9:13:46 AM9/27/19
to archivematica
Hi all,

We have a cron job runs nightly to ingest materials (using the API) from a target folder, and the first thing it does is hide all completed transfers and ingests. The code is on GitHub: https://github.com/RockefellerArchiveCenter/scripts/blob/master/archivematica/startTransfer.py

Best,
Bonnie

Ross Spencer

Sep 30, 2019, 7:41:15 AM9/30/19
to archivematica
Hi Thiago,

It looks like you've some great approaches suggested here. Using the API with a requests library in Python as Bonnie suggests is a great way to do this. The specific API commands are under 'hide' in the API docs.

Right now, if it is a single command you need, then we have a library that we're building out called amclient. It has the potential to be called directly as a command line tool, The tool can be imported as a library, or run as a module from the command line.

There are a few commands that might interest you, or other readers of this post.

    close-completed-transfers
                        Close all completed transfers.
    close-completed-ingests
                        Close all completed ingests.

    aips                Print all AIPs in the Storage Service.

    get-package-details
                        Retrieve details about a package in the storage
                        service with a given UUID.

So once you've installed amclient, you can make a call as follows to list the aips that you have stored:

$ python /path/to/amclient.py aips --ss-user-name test --ss-url http://127.0.0.1:62081 test | python -m json.tool

or as a command-line call once installed:

$ amclient aips --ss-user-name test --ss-url http://127.0.0.1:62081 test | python -m json.tool

To clear transfers you would use your Archivematica credentials:

$ amclient close-completed-transfers --am-user-name test --am-url http://127.0.0.1:62080 test

Karl suggests a cron-task to clear transfers periodically. To clear transfers every seven days, a cron task might look as follows:

* * 7 * * amclient close-completed-transfers --am-url http://127.0.0.1:62080 --am-user-name <api-user-name> <api-key> >/dev/null 2>&1

I am currently looking at an issue with running the amclient directly from `/usr/local/bin` which helps enable this use, so if you have an issue there too, I suggest taking a look at it as a module or standalone script (approach 1 above), but also if you try it, please let us know what the issue you're seeing is so we can address it. I'll log a GitHub issue shortly too once I can determine that it's not just my environment.

I hope this helps,
Best,
Ross

Thiago Luna

Sep 30, 2019, 3:45:04 PM9/30/19
to archivematica
Hi, all!.

Thank you for your replies!

Sara, I understood. Once cleared a transfer/ingest tab from dashboard I can still get information by querying the MySQL database.
Karl and Bonnie, great idea to have a cron job.
And Ross, amclient is a very useful library! I will try to use it.

Regards,

Thiago Luna
National Archive of Brazil

Ross Spencer

Oct 2, 2019, 4:34:07 PM10/2/19
to archivematica
I noticed this Archivematica API library from Benjamin Simonis on Github too: https://github.com/BenjaminSimonis/Archivematica-API-Handler I need to take a look but might also be of interest to others.

Best,
Ross

Tatiana Canelhas

Dec 28, 2021, 5:56:50 PM12/28/21
to archivematica
Hi group,

Is there a way to clear the hanging decitions in AM 1.13?

Thanks.
Tatiana Canelhas

Tatiana Canelhas

Feb 10, 2022, 10:28:08 AM2/10/22
to archivematica
Answering my question, dev-tools is still working on 1.13.
:)