Automated install without Virtualbox?

Bruce Le Smith

Jul 30, 2021, 9:25:55 PM7/30/21
to archivematica
Hi folks, a question about a personal/learning/development environment. I'm new to this, so sorry if anything doesn't quite make sense. Two parts to this message, "Context" and "Questions/Options".

Context
I've got an Ubuntu server v.18.04.5 installed on a Raspberry Pi v.4b, but that means my CPU is an ARM v.8 and virtualbox doesn't seem to like that CPU architecture. When I run the [sudo apt-get install virtualbox vagrant] command I get:
  • Reading package lists... Done
  • Building dependency tree
  • Reading state information... Done
  • Package virtualbox is not available, but is referred to by another package.
  • This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
  • is only available from another source
  • E: Package 'virtualbox' has no installation candidate
I am curious about the "is referred to by another package" comment in that message... If I try to run the command with just vagrant it looks like it will install that just fine. So it's tempting to forge ahead like that... :)

Questions/Options
(A) Do you think I can get away with the automated install of 1.13 without virtualbox?

I'm assuming the virtualization/VM part is necessary for that auto-magic to work...? Or does anyone know of another open source virtualization option that might work in place of virtualbox, one that is ARM CPU compatible?

(B) Would it be smarter to just try the manual install instructions instead?

I don't see any mention of virtualbox or VMs in the manual instructions.

(C) Should I just jump right into the Dev/Hack Docker instructions?

(D) None of the above, start over and build an Ubuntu server with an AMD CPU :)

Hope this makes sense and thanks for any hints about which path I should take!

Bruce

Oytun CİBAROĞLU

Jul 31, 2021, 2:03:15 PM7/31/21
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bruce;

Aforementioned error may be caused by R.pi hardware itself for virtualization manner.

Even though I sought more resources, actually I couldn't have enough info about it, but, I got almost the same error while installing vagrant, and especially after "vagrant up" command. Was no way to solve it for me.

Just try to search for the related package with "apt-cache search vagrant" command.

It will be listed all packages that referred to "vagrant". It may work.

By the way, I think "manual install" is the easiest and %100 success way to install the whole archivematica. The directions is clear and no way to get an error.

I hope this helps.

Best.

Bruce Le Smith <bruce.nor...@gmail.com>, 31 Tem 2021 Cmt, 04:26 tarihinde şunu yazdı:

Yasal Uyarı

Bruce Le Smith

Jul 31, 2021, 2:38:33 PM7/31/21
to archivematica
Thanks for the feedback Yasal! Yeah I was kinda leaning towards option (b) manual install too, hopefully that option just goes onto the local host without any VMs or containers.

And thanks for the inspiration, I did another quick search and there might be some virtualization options for the rPi4, e.g. https://wiki.debian.org/nspawn and https://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2020/10/announcing-the-esxi-arm-fling.html . But the pain of trying to adapt the automated install for a different cutting edge virtualization option probably isn't worth it right now :) Especially since option (c) for Docker containers might be similar and be better documented.