Accessing Dashboard service from separate machines/systems

John Doe

Dec 2, 2015, 6:22:18 AM12/2/15
to archivematica
Hi, I'm a student currently working on my final year project which includes the use of an archive, in this case am using archivematica.

I am a first time user of any archive, but currently have a fully functional archivematica installation with successful attempts with preserving data (using windows 7 with a Ubuntu Virtual Box).
The problem is that I am very confused how to access this archive (either dashboard or storage system) from a separate machine/system.

Does this other system also have to be a UNIX system? Can I use Windows without a Virtual Box for it?
Does this system have to have archivematica installed to access the web-based dashboard? If so, does it need the full installation or just the dashboard install?
How can I make the archived data and the ability to upload data available for this separate system?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the multiple questions

Matthew Gettemy

Dec 2, 2015, 9:53:03 AM12/2/15
to archivematica
Hey John,
You should be able to access the dashboard from any os/computer with a browser, using the public IP of the virtual machine. You do not need an archivematica install on the computer you are trying to access the server from. Once you log on to the dashboard from a remote computer you can see and search for your transfers on the "Archival Storage" tab.

John Doe

Dec 2, 2015, 11:17:23 AM12/2/15
to archivematica
Hey, yeah I thought it was to be that simple but for some reason on all browsers it simply returns a TIMEOUT error. Just to clarify, while the server is being hosted then I just need to type in http://(IP ADDRESS OF SERVER), correct? I also do not need to edit the pipelines or spaces on the storage service?

Thanks for your help Matthew.

Matthew Gettemy

Dec 2, 2015, 12:45:41 PM12/2/15
to archivematica
Yeah, I saw you posted the error in another thread, and as sara said there is likely some vm configuration that is wrong. If you can't ping the IP from the remote computer then you probably won't reach the dashboard. And you are correct on the http syntax - likely just the IP will work as well in the address bar. And no you don't need to enable that in the pipeline.

John Doe

Dec 2, 2015, 1:07:11 PM12/2/15
to archivematica
Thanks MAtthew, I did not have a host-only port on my virtual box and now it works, I will probably delete this post as I don't want to fill up the forum with unnecessary threads, I'll leave the other one in case anyone has the same problem. Thanks alot for your help,
John