Lenny - xvinfo: No Adaptors present..

Chris Jones

Jan 14, 2011, 3:24:32 AM1/14/11
to debia...@lists.debian.org
I'm in the last stages of migrating my (mostly legacy) stuff to a newer
laptop and cannot get mplayer to work as well as I had hoped on debian
lenny.

On my previous system with an old ATI Mach64, I specified the XVideo
output driver and was getting pretty decent results.

On the new system, with a fairly current nvidia video card, and the
default ‘nv’ free driver, only the sound appears to work when I stream
TV news channels or play .flv videos.

The only workaround that I have found so far is to use the ‘sdl’ driver
instead of ‘xv’ but the picture is pretty bad and the sound quality is
unacceptable.

I searched for solutions or a workaround and did not see as much as an
explanation.

That's how I learned that there is something in X called ‘XVideo’ and
that in such circumstances, I should run the ‘xvinfo’ command to help
diagnose the problem.

Well, here is the output:

$ xvinfo
X-Video Extension version 2.2
screen #0
no adaptors present

I'm not sure whether it's relevant, but oddly, xdpyinfo informs me that:

number of extensions: 30
BIG-REQUESTS
Composite
DAMAGE
XTEST
XVideo <-

In any event, I ran that same xvinfo command on the old laptop and got
about two screenfuls of output for my trouble, one line accurately
naming my video card somewhere near the top, followed by many lines of
cryptic output.

Is this telling me is that the XVideo extension on the new machine is
not enabled?

I have among other things a Ubuntu 10.10 system on the same laptop and
with the proprietary ‘nvidia’ driver, the xvinfo command produces output
similar to what I am getting on my former machine.

Hoping that this might be a simple case of debian ’lenny’ being too old
for my hardware and that I only needed to be patient and the problem
would take care of itself, I proceeded to boot into debian ‘squeeze’,
but unfortunately, I got the exact same results as on lenny: no video
with ‘xv’, very choppy sound with ‘sdl’, and xvinfo outputs the same
three messages as above.

I am not really keen on installing the ‘nvidia’ driver on the debian
systems, but on the other hand, it would be nice to be able to take
a quick look at the news and such without having to reboot..

Is this situation to be expected, or is there any way I could get this
to work?

All apologies if this is a well-known issue and I did not chance upon
the solution.

If anyone has run into similar problems, maybe they could give me a push
in the right direction?

Thanks,

cj

Camaleón

Jan 14, 2011, 9:11:33 AM1/14/11
to debia...@lists.debian.org
On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 03:24:32 -0500, Chris Jones wrote:

> I'm in the last stages of migrating my (mostly legacy) stuff to a newer
> laptop and cannot get mplayer to work as well as I had hoped on debian
> lenny.
>
> On my previous system with an old ATI Mach64, I specified the XVideo
> output driver and was getting pretty decent results.
>
> On the new system, with a fairly current nvidia video card, and the
> default ‘nv’ free driver, only the sound appears to work when I stream
> TV news channels or play .flv videos.

You may try with the proprietary "nvidia" driver or test with another
video player.

(...)

> In any event, I ran that same xvinfo command on the old laptop and got
> about two screenfuls of output for my trouble, one line accurately
> naming my video card somewhere near the top, followed by many lines of
> cryptic output.
>
> Is this telling me is that the XVideo extension on the new machine is
> not enabled?

You can check it:

stt008:~# cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep XVideo
(II) Loading extension XVideo
(II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation

> I have among other things a Ubuntu 10.10 system on the same laptop and
> with the proprietary ‘nvidia’ driver, the xvinfo command produces output
> similar to what I am getting on my former machine.
>
> Hoping that this might be a simple case of debian ’lenny’ being too old
> for my hardware and that I only needed to be patient and the problem
> would take care of itself, I proceeded to boot into debian ‘squeeze’,
> but unfortunately, I got the exact same results as on lenny: no video
> with ‘xv’, very choppy sound with ‘sdl’, and xvinfo outputs the same
> three messages as above.

Hum... I get output from two lenny systems running "nv" and "nvidia" so
the problem must be in other place :-?

> I am not really keen on installing the ‘nvidia’ driver on the debian
> systems, but on the other hand, it would be nice to be able to take a
> quick look at the news and such without having to reboot..

The closed source driver for nvidia works quite well under my lenny
systems, I have no complaints (easy to install and very stable). I only
have it installed on systems where I need additional capabilities that
"nv" driver cannot provide.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.01...@gmail.com

Klistvud

Jan 14, 2011, 9:20:37 AM1/14/11
to debia...@lists.debian.org
Dne, 14. 01. 2011 09:24:32 je Chris Jones napisal(a):

> I'm in the last stages of migrating my (mostly legacy) stuff to a
> newer
> laptop and cannot get mplayer to work as well as I had hoped on debian
> lenny.
>
> On my previous system with an old ATI Mach64, I specified the XVideo
> output driver and was getting pretty decent results.
>
> On the new system, with a fairly current nvidia video card, and the
> default ‘nv’ free driver, only the sound appears to work when I stream
> TV news channels or play .flv videos.

It may be that the nv driver you use is simply slower than the
proprietary nvidia driver. See
http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Installation-1 for
installing the proprietary nvidia driver from the Debian repositories.

> Hoping that this might be a simple case of debian ’lenny’ being too
> old
> for my hardware and that I only needed to be patient and the problem
> would take care of itself, I proceeded to boot into debian ‘squeeze’,
> but unfortunately, I got the exact same results as on lenny: no video
> with ‘xv’, very choppy sound with ‘sdl’, and xvinfo outputs the same
> three messages as above.

Unless you have very specific needs, Squeeze is the way to go on a
laptop machine. A more recent kernel, more hardware is supported, ext4
filesystem, and so on. There is really no reason to stick with Lenny in
your case as far as I can see (but the decision is yours, of course).

> I am not really keen on installing the ‘nvidia’ driver on the debian
> systems,

You can say that again.

> but on the other hand, it would be nice to be able to take
> a quick look at the news and such without having to reboot..
>
> Is this situation to be expected, or is there any way I could get this
> to work?

I'm afraid it's the former. Freedom never comes cheap (i.e. without
sacrifice).

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
me.

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/1295014837.6082.1@compax

Sven Joachim

Jan 14, 2011, 11:06:51 AM1/14/11
to debia...@lists.debian.org
On 2011-01-14 09:24 +0100, Chris Jones wrote:

> I'm in the last stages of migrating my (mostly legacy) stuff to a newer
> laptop and cannot get mplayer to work as well as I had hoped on debian
> lenny.
>
> On my previous system with an old ATI Mach64, I specified the XVideo
> output driver and was getting pretty decent results.
>
> On the new system, with a fairly current nvidia video card, and the
> default ‘nv’ free driver, only the sound appears to work when I stream
> TV news channels or play .flv videos.

The problem is that

a) fairly current hardware may generally not work very well with a
relatively old system (Lenny's kernel and the nv driver are from
mid-2008), and

b) the nv driver does not support the XVideo extension on GeForce 8 and
newer.

> Hoping that this might be a simple case of debian ’lenny’ being too old
> for my hardware and that I only needed to be patient and the problem
> would take care of itself, I proceeded to boot into debian ‘squeeze’,
> but unfortunately, I got the exact same results as on lenny: no video
> with ‘xv’, very choppy sound with ‘sdl’, and xvinfo outputs the same
> three messages as above.

Which video driver do you use? On Squeeze, nouveau is the default, and
it does support XVideo here:

,----
| % xvinfo

| X-Video Extension version 2.2
| screen #0

| Adaptor #0: "Nouveau GeForce 8/9 Textured Video"
| [...]
`----

And what's your graphics card? Use "lspci -k" to also show its kernel
drivers, if any.

Sven

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/87hbdbz...@turtle.gmx.de

Chris Jones

Jan 14, 2011, 12:08:12 PM1/14/11
to debia...@lists.debian.org
On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 09:11:33AM EST, Camaleón wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 03:24:32 -0500, Chris Jones wrote:

[..]

> > Is this telling me is that the XVideo extension on the new machine
> > is not enabled?

> You can check it:
>
> stt008:~# cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep XVideo
> (II) Loading extension XVideo
> (II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation

I saw these as well.

Makes it all even curiouser since the only (EE) messages I saw were
relative to the touchpad - disabled in the BIOS so I need to comment it
out in xorg.conf - and slightly more to the point (but to be expected)
a message where Xorg complains about not being able to initialize the
GLX extension.

[..]

> Hum... I get output from two lenny systems running "nv" and "nvidia"
> so the problem must be in other place :-?

What does xvinfo tell you on the system where you're running nv..?

In other words, should I expect failure with the xvinfo output I am
getting, or should I just ignore it?

> > I am not really keen on installing the ‘nvidia’ driver on the debian
> > systems, but on the other hand, it would be nice to be able to take
> > a quick look at the news and such without having to reboot..
>
> The closed source driver for nvidia works quite well under my lenny
> systems, I have no complaints (easy to install and very stable).
> I only have it installed on systems where I need additional
> capabilities that "nv" driver cannot provide.

I innocently thought I wouldn't need any ‘additional capabilities’..
just watching the news once in a while.. no fancy 3D gaming or such
like..

And since the ‘nvidia’ driver that comes with lenny does not support my
card, I figured installing it was both unnecesssary and asking for
trouble.

cj

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/2011011417...@pavo.local

Camaleón

Jan 14, 2011, 12:37:11 PM1/14/11
to debia...@lists.debian.org
On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 12:08:12 -0500, Chris Jones wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 09:11:33AM EST, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 03:24:32 -0500, Chris Jones wrote:
>
> [..]
>
>> > Is this telling me is that the XVideo extension on the new machine is
>> > not enabled?
>
>> You can check it:
>>
>> stt008:~# cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep XVideo (II) Loading extension
>> XVideo
>> (II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
>
> I saw these as well.
>
> Makes it all even curiouser since the only (EE) messages I saw were
> relative to the touchpad - disabled in the BIOS so I need to comment it
> out in xorg.conf - and slightly more to the point (but to be expected) a
> message where Xorg complains about not being able to initialize the GLX
> extension.

Maybe it's time for you attach/upload the whole "/var/log/Xorg.0.log"
file :-)

>> Hum... I get output from two lenny systems running "nv" and "nvidia" so
>> the problem must be in other place :-?
>
> What does xvinfo tell you on the system where you're running nv..?
>
> In other words, should I expect failure with the xvinfo output I am
> getting, or should I just ignore it?

In that machine running "nv" driver I've got this card:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G71 [Quadro FX
1500] (rev a1)
Kernel modules: nvidiafb

And I get this (full output):

http://pastebin.com/QrQCQp17

stt005:~# xvinfo

X-Video Extension version 2.2
screen #0

Adaptor #0: "NV17 Video Texture"
number of ports: 32
port base: 355
operations supported: PutImage
supported visuals:
depth 24, visualID 0x21
depth 24, visualID 0x24
(...)

No, it should not fail unless something wrong happens (like card/driver
combo you use does not provide such support as Sven pointed out).

>> The closed source driver for nvidia works quite well under my lenny
>> systems, I have no complaints (easy to install and very stable). I only
>> have it installed on systems where I need additional capabilities that
>> "nv" driver cannot provide.
>
> I innocently thought I wouldn't need any ‘additional capabilities’..
> just watching the news once in a while.. no fancy 3D gaming or such
> like..

Well, I have no problems for playing offline/online videos with the "nv"
driver so if you are experiencing any issue with it, you can try with
another driver or another media player >:-)

> And since the ‘nvidia’ driver that comes with lenny does not support my
> card, I figured installing it was both unnecesssary and asking for
> trouble.

What kind of card do you have? I really doubt is not supported by any of
the nvidia drivers available in lenny :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.01...@gmail.com

Chris Jones

Jan 14, 2011, 12:55:21 PM1/14/11
to debia...@lists.debian.org
On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 09:20:37AM EST, Klistvud wrote:
> Dne, 14. 01. 2011 09:24:32 je Chris Jones napisal(a):

[..]

>> On the new system, with a fairly current nvidia video card, and the
>> default ‘nv’ free driver, only the sound appears to work when I stream
>> TV news channels or play .flv videos.

> It may be that the nv driver you use is simply slower than the
> proprietary nvidia driver.

At first glance, does not account for the fact that I do see some crappy
video with other mplayer -vo's such as ‘sdl’ or ‘x11’.

> See http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Installation-1 for
> installing the proprietary nvidia driver from the Debian repositories.

>> Hoping that this might be a simple case of debian ’lenny’ being too old
>> for my hardware and that I only needed to be patient and the problem
>> would take care of itself, I proceeded to boot into debian ‘squeeze’,
>> but unfortunately, I got the exact same results as on lenny: no video
>> with ‘xv’, very choppy sound with ‘sdl’, and xvinfo outputs the same
>> three messages as above.
>
> Unless you have very specific needs, Squeeze is the way to go on a laptop
> machine.

Since it will happen any time soon, I decided it made more sense to wait
till squeeze becomes stable..

> A more recent kernel, more hardware is supported, ext4 filesystem,
> and so on. There is really no reason to stick with Lenny in your case
> as far as I can see (but the decision is yours, of course).

I have an up-to-date squeeze environment ready to roll.. but I'm having
the exact same problem with it.. Looks like regardless of the version,
‘nv’ doesn't play well with my video card.

>> I am not really keen on installing the ‘nvidia’ driver on the debian
>> systems,

> You can say that again.

I ran a quick test about a month ago with the proprietary driver, plus
patched kernel.. etc. and I what I saw was that hardware rendering
worked fine. But the linux console was non functional. Let me login,
type startx, etc. but all I could see was a black screen. Impractical
for normal utilization..

This problem is fixed with the newer version of the ‘nvidia’ driver that
comes with ubuntu 10.10. Ibid. squeeze, presumably.

>> but on the other hand, it would be nice to be able to take a quick
>> look at the news and such without having to reboot..
>>
>> Is this situation to be expected, or is there any way I could get
>> this to work?

> I'm afraid it's the former. Freedom never comes cheap (i.e. without
> sacrifice).

I'll give the ‘nouveau’ driver a run for its money when I'm done
switching to squeeze.

cj

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/2011011417...@pavo.local

Chris Jones

Jan 14, 2011, 8:15:39 PM1/14/11
to debia...@lists.debian.org
On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 11:06:51AM EST, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2011-01-14 09:24 +0100, Chris Jones wrote:

> > I'm in the last stages of migrating my (mostly legacy) stuff to a newer
> > laptop and cannot get mplayer to work as well as I had hoped on debian
> > lenny.
> >
> > On my previous system with an old ATI Mach64, I specified the XVideo
> > output driver and was getting pretty decent results.
> >
> > On the new system, with a fairly current nvidia video card, and the
> > default ‘nv’ free driver, only the sound appears to work when I stream
> > TV news channels or play .flv videos.
>
> The problem is that
>
> a) fairly current hardware may generally not work very well with a
> relatively old system (Lenny's kernel and the nv driver are from
> mid-2008), and

Yes, we are agreed..

> b) the nv driver does not support the XVideo extension on GeForce 8 and
> newer.

I don't know if my card (Quad FX 3700M - mobile version) is newer. But
on squeeze I do see it listed among many others in the Xorg log
suggesting it might be supported. It is not listed in lenny's Xorg logs.

> > Hoping that this might be a simple case of debian ’lenny’ being too old
> > for my hardware and that I only needed to be patient and the problem
> > would take care of itself, I proceeded to boot into debian ‘squeeze’,
> > but unfortunately, I got the exact same results as on lenny: no video
> > with ‘xv’, very choppy sound with ‘sdl’, and xvinfo outputs the same
> > three messages as above.
>
> Which video driver do you use?

Since I have no gaming needs or such, I was planning on using the ‘nv’
driver on both systems.

> On Squeeze, nouveau is the default, and it does support XVideo here:

> ,----
> | % xvinfo
> | X-Video Extension version 2.2
> | screen #0
> | Adaptor #0: "Nouveau GeForce 8/9 Textured Video"
> | [...]
> `----

I tried to activate the nouveau driver which was indeed installed by
default, but this eventually caused squeeze to freeze.. couldn't even
ssh to the laptop from another machine.

In any case, before the freeze, I did manage to run xvinfo.. same as
with ‘nv’.. no adaptors present.

> And what's your graphics card? Use "lspci -k" to also show its kernel
> drivers, if any.

On lenny, this is all I see that looks like a graphics card:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 061e (rev a2)
Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nvidia

But lsmod shows that these modules were not loaded.

Looks like it's going to be a difficult card and I guess I should focus
on getting it to work in squeeze at this point.

cj

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/2011011501...@pavo.local

Chris Jones

Jan 14, 2011, 9:03:19 PM1/14/11
to debia...@lists.debian.org
On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 12:37:11PM EST, Camaleón wrote:

[..]

> Maybe it's time for you attach/upload the whole "/var/log/Xorg.0.log"
> file :-)

Hey.. why not..

http://pastebin.com/38DZcW7D

Enjoy¹..!

cj

¹ this is the log on ‘lenny’

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/2011011502...@pavo.local

Camaleón

Jan 15, 2011, 6:58:54 AM1/15/11
to debia...@lists.debian.org
On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 21:03:19 -0500, Chris Jones wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 12:37:11PM EST, Camaleón wrote:
>
> [..]
>
>> Maybe it's time for you attach/upload the whole "/var/log/Xorg.0.log"
>> file :-)
>
> Hey.. why not..
>
> http://pastebin.com/38DZcW7D

Thanks :-)

Some comments on the log...

***
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so
(II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
Module class: X.Org Server Extension
(II) NVIDIA GLX Module 173.14.09 Thu Jun 5 00:07:40 PDT 2008
(II) Loading extension GLX
**

It seems loading the GLX module using some part of the nvidia closed
drivers... how is that possible? :-?

Now look mine:

***
(II) LoadModule: "glx"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so
(II) Module glx: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 0.3
(==) AIGLX enabled
(II) Loading extension GLX
***

Here is loading the Xorg stock GLX extension.

And there is something more in your log it caught my attention:

***
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
(--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
(--) Chipset Unknown NVIDIA chip found
***

And now compare to mine:

***
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
(--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
(--) Chipset Quadro FX 1500 found
***

I still don't see why are you so reluctant to "test" the closed source
driver. Just to test, for seeing how it goes and if it solves nothing
then at least you can decide the next step with confidence :-)

You said your card was "unsupported" and you maybe right.

- Lenny ships "nvidia-glx" 173.14.09 and your card is not listed:

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/173.14.09/README/appendix-a.html

- But Squeeze ships "nvidia-glx" 195.36.31 and your card appears there:

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/195.36.31/README/supportedchips.html

So you can test the closed driver in squeeze and see how it goes. If all
is fine you can then install the latest driver available from nvidia site
in lenny (it will require driver compilation).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.01...@gmail.com

Sven Joachim

Jan 15, 2011, 7:26:08 AM1/15/11
to debia...@lists.debian.org
On 2011-01-15 12:58 +0100, Camale�n wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 21:03:19 -0500, Chris Jones wrote:
>

>> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 12:37:11PM EST, Camale�n wrote:
>>
>> [..]
>>
>>> Maybe it's time for you attach/upload the whole "/var/log/Xorg.0.log"
>>> file :-)
>>
>> Hey.. why not..
>>
>> http://pastebin.com/38DZcW7D
>
> Thanks :-)
>
> Some comments on the log...
>
> ***
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so
> (II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
> compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
> Module class: X.Org Server Extension
> (II) NVIDIA GLX Module 173.14.09 Thu Jun 5 00:07:40 PDT 2008
> (II) Loading extension GLX
> **
>
> It seems loading the GLX module using some part of the nvidia closed
> drivers... how is that possible? :-?

Because the nvidia-glx package is installed, even though Chris does not
use it. This is bad because no program that uses OpenGL will be able to
run, but not directly related to the problem.

> And there is something more in your log it caught my attention:
>
> ***
> (II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
> (--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
> (--) Chipset Unknown NVIDIA chip found

Yeah, the nv driver is too old and does not really know the card.
Should not be much of a problem, though.

> I still don't see why are you so reluctant to "test" the closed source
> driver. Just to test, for seeing how it goes and if it solves nothing
> then at least you can decide the next step with confidence :-)

I wonder why Chris bought a laptop with such a powerful card in the
first place if he has no use for it. Intel graphics would have been
cheaper and also cause much less headaches.

Sven

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/87r5cem...@turtle.gmx.de

Chris Jones

Jan 16, 2011, 4:24:17 PM1/16/11
to debia...@lists.debian.org
On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 06:58:54AM EST, Camaleón wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 21:03:19 -0500, Chris Jones wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 12:37:11PM EST, Camaleón wrote:
> >
> > [..]

> Some comments on the log...

> ***
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so
> (II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
> compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
> Module class: X.Org Server Extension
> (II) NVIDIA GLX Module 173.14.09 Thu Jun 5 00:07:40 PDT 2008
> (II) Loading extension GLX
> **
>
> It seems

Ten years I've been using X every day and apart from a few silly tricks
learned through experience.. I'm just about as ignorant as I was when
I started off.

> drivers... how is that possible? :-?

Broken environment..? :-)

> Now look mine:
>
> ***
> (II) LoadModule: "glx"
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so
> (II) Module glx: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
> compiled for 1.4.2, module version = 1.0.0
> ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 0.3
> (==) AIGLX enabled
> (II) Loading extension GLX
> ***
>
> Here is loading the Xorg stock GLX extension.

I _assumed_ I might be able to conjure up some trick or other to switch
between the nvidia and nv drivers.. maybe not quite on the fly.. but at
least without having to reboot.. as a result, you caught me right in the
middle of testing possible solutions and I had not removed the nvidia
packages.

As Sven rightly observed, what I had failed to notice was that since
I had no GLX at all loaded in my Xserver.. OpenGL programs did not work
any more.. But as Sven also remarked, this is a separate problem.

> And there is something more in your log it caught my attention:
>
> ***
> (II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
> (--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
> (--) Chipset Unknown NVIDIA chip found
> ***
>
> And now compare to mine:
>
> ***
> (II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
> (--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
> (--) Chipset Quadro FX 1500 found
> ***

This log is lenny's.. and my card is unsupported by either ‘nv’ or
‘nvidia’, so that would appear to be consistent.

> I still don't see why are you so reluctant to "test" the closed source
> driver. Just to test, for seeing how it goes and if it solves nothing
> then at least you can decide the next step with confidence :-)

Not at all. I tested it under squeeze where my card is supported and the
newer nvidia driver addresses the ‘black console’ issue. On the other
hand, I was experiencing extreme slowness in programs such as icesweasel
and a completely broken keyboard with stuff like the down arrow key
mapped to Mode_Switch (!) .. try to do a dpkg-reconfigure that brings up
ncurses screens with a broken down arrow.

At that point, I decided that it made better sense to reinstall squeeze
at some point in the future and start again from scratch.

But since the card is working fine in ubuntu 10.10, I am not really
worried about getting this to work now.

At this point, I am more concerned as to what completely borked my
out-of-the-box squeeze environment.

> You said your card was "unsupported" and you maybe right.
>
> - Lenny ships "nvidia-glx" 173.14.09 and your card is not listed:
>
> http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/173.14.09/README/appendix-a.html
>
> - But Squeeze ships "nvidia-glx" 195.36.31 and your card appears
> there:
>
> http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/195.36.31/README/supportedchips.html

> So you can test the closed driver in squeeze and see how it goes. If
> all is fine you can then install the latest driver available from
> nvidia site in lenny (it will require driver compilation).

Thanks, but since within a few months I will have switched to squeeze
for my activities.. it's probably not worth it. After all, the only
thing (apart from DRI) that's not working in lenny, is that I have to
use the ‘x11’ video driver in mplayer.. and as a result, I cannot watch
the news full-screen. I can live with that.

cj

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/2011011621...@pavo.local

Chris Jones

Jan 16, 2011, 4:40:31 PM1/16/11
to debia...@lists.debian.org
On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 07:26:08AM EST, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2011-01-15 12:58 +0100, Camale�n wrote:

[..]

> > It seems loading the GLX module using some part of the nvidia closed
> > drivers... how is that possible? :-?
>
> Because the nvidia-glx package is installed, even though Chris does
> not use it. This is bad because no program that uses OpenGL will be
> able to run, but not directly related to the problem.

Good catch..

> > And there is something more in your log it caught my attention:
> >
> > ***
> > (II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
> > (--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
> > (--) Chipset Unknown NVIDIA chip found
>
> Yeah, the nv driver is too old and does not really know the card.
> Should not be much of a problem, though.

Just the XVideo stuff, where I'm concerned.

> > I still don't see why are you so reluctant to "test" the closed
> > source driver. Just to test, for seeing how it goes and if it solves
> > nothing then at least you can decide the next step with confidence
> > :-)

> I wonder why Chris bought a laptop with such a powerful card in the
> first place if he has no use for it. Intel graphics would have been
> cheaper and also cause much less headaches.

Incompetence..? :-)

I needed a new laptop urgently because my 11-year old machine's display
was on its way out, and when I saw a high-end machine from a year ago at
25% of the original price at the lenovo outlet.. with specs that should
prove suitable for hopefully many years to come, I verified other folks
had gotten it to work with GNU/linux. Since the laptop was not built to
order, I was not in a position to make any changes to the configuration.
I wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

And who knows, contrary to the color calibrator, fingerprint reader, and
other options that I have little use for.. I might find some uses to
make up for the dollars this card is going to add to my electricity
bill.

cj

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/2011011621...@pavo.local

Camaleón

Jan 17, 2011, 9:12:35 AM1/17/11
to debia...@lists.debian.org
On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 16:24:17 -0500, Chris Jones wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 06:58:54AM EST, Camaleón wrote:

> Ten years I've been using X every day and apart from a few silly tricks
> learned through experience.. I'm just about as ignorant as I was when I
> started off.

Read it as follows: you've had ten years of a troubleless X system so you
should to be proud of that ;-)

>> how is that possible? :-?
>
> Broken environment..? :-)

Something was messed up, yep.

>> Now look mine:
>>
>> ***
>> (II) LoadModule: "glx"
>> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so (II) Module
>> glx: vendor="X.Org Foundation" compiled for 1.4.2, module version =
>> 1.0.0 ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 0.3 (==) AIGLX enabled
>> (II) Loading extension GLX
>> ***
>>
>> Here is loading the Xorg stock GLX extension.
>
> I _assumed_ I might be able to conjure up some trick or other to switch
> between the nvidia and nv drivers.. maybe not quite on the fly.. but at
> least without having to reboot.. as a result, you caught me right in the
> middle of testing possible solutions and I had not removed the nvidia
> packages.
>
> As Sven rightly observed, what I had failed to notice was that since I
> had no GLX at all loaded in my Xserver.. OpenGL programs did not work
> any more.. But as Sven also remarked, this is a separate problem.

AFAICT, you can have both drivers installed (at least in lenny), "nv" and
"nvidia" and then adjust your "xorg.conf" file accordingly. In all the
machines I have the "nvidia" driver installed it lives in harmony with
"xserver-xorg-video-nv" :-)

>> ***
>> (II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
>> (--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device (--)
>> Chipset Quadro FX 1500 found
>> ***
>
> This log is lenny's.. and my card is unsupported by either ‘nv’ or
> ‘nvidia’, so that would appear to be consistent.

Well, your card is supported but not all features are available when
using the "nv" driver, as it seems :-(

>> I still don't see why are you so reluctant to "test" the closed source
>> driver. Just to test, for seeing how it goes and if it solves nothing
>> then at least you can decide the next step with confidence :-)
>
> Not at all. I tested it under squeeze where my card is supported and the
> newer nvidia driver addresses the ‘black console’ issue. On the other
> hand, I was experiencing extreme slowness in programs such as icesweasel
> and a completely broken keyboard with stuff like the down arrow key
> mapped to Mode_Switch (!) .. try to do a dpkg-reconfigure that brings up
> ncurses screens with a broken down arrow.
>
> At that point, I decided that it made better sense to reinstall squeeze
> at some point in the future and start again from scratch.

The "black console" can be because in Squeeze KMS is enabled by default
so, when using the nvidia driver, you have to ensure that KMS is off.

> But since the card is working fine in ubuntu 10.10, I am not really
> worried about getting this to work now.
>
> At this point, I am more concerned as to what completely borked my
> out-of-the-box squeeze environment.

Your card is very powerful and I'm sure you will get the best of it with
the closed drivers, but I don't want to repeat like a loop myself by
telling you the advantadges of using the nvidia driver :-)

>> So you can test the closed driver in squeeze and see how it goes. If
>> all is fine you can then install the latest driver available from
>> nvidia site in lenny (it will require driver compilation).
>
> Thanks, but since within a few months I will have switched to squeeze
> for my activities.. it's probably not worth it. After all, the only
> thing (apart from DRI) that's not working in lenny, is that I have to
> use the ‘x11’ video driver in mplayer.. and as a result, I cannot watch
> the news full-screen. I can live with that.

Okay, just remember Squeeze uses a different set of driver (nouveau) than
lenny (nv), it is possible that you don't need to tewak anything there.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.01...@gmail.com

Chris Jones

Jan 17, 2011, 4:32:47 PM1/17/11
to debia...@lists.debian.org
On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 09:12:35AM EST, Camale�n wrote:

[..]

> Okay, just remember Squeeze uses a different set of driver (nouveau) than

> lenny (nv), it is possible that you don't need to tewak anything there.

Thanks, I'll remember this thread when I'm ready to switch to squeeze.

cj

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20110117213...@pavo.local