Architectural Kata Network

Donovan Johnson

Nov 12, 2014, 12:55:27 PM11/12/14
to architect...@googlegroups.com
Would it make sense to build a network of Apps, Blogs, and Social Networking groups all centered around completing different types of Architectural Katas?

And if so, are we of the opinion that it would require the involvement of other organizations - such as The Open Group, IASA, IEEE's Computer Society, or ACM -- or should it remain separated from these groups?

Thoughts?

Ted Neward

Nov 12, 2014, 6:51:14 PM11/12/14
to architect...@googlegroups.com
Originally, the idea was that each kata would be an exercise for architects/groups to do, and I sort of had the idea that the more “fresh” (in other words, unprejudiced or uninfluenced ahead of time) the participant was, the more effective the exercise. If such a network would give people ready-made answers, I’d worry that we’d be degrading the efficacy of the exercise. But if the network was somehow supporting it (and I don’t know exactly what I’m asking here, just thinking out loud), then heavens, yes, that’d be a good thing.

As for involving those other organizations, frankly, if they thought picking this up was a worthwhile exercise, I’d be all for it. The more the merrier, unless they want to start changing it up to be something it’s not. Then I’d get grumpy.

(I still own the website, though. At least the “official” one, anyway. I put a lot of hours… er, well, minutes, anyway… into building that. ;-) )

Ted Neward
Author, Speaker, Mentor
t: @tedneward | m: (425) 647-4526

Donovan Johnson

Jun 13, 2015, 5:22:47 PM6/13/15
to architect...@googlegroups.com
Ok, so my rationale behind the question was, that we would grow a community of people who have an interest in seeing such a practice grow, and that they would push the envelope on rigor, while feedback from parties who are not members of those communities, but were apart of the kata community at large might press them to open their minds and grow their patterns of reason so that more creative solutions would be accepted while at the same time knowing their acceptance was vetted through a respected crucible that would be difficult to dismiss.