www.architecturalkatas.com is down

Sergey Shishkin

Jan 28, 2013, 3:07:16 PM1/28/13
to architect...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

anyone else noticed that the website is down?

Sergey

Martín Salías

Jan 28, 2013, 3:49:42 PM1/28/13
to architect...@googlegroups.com
Yup. It completely disappeared.

Ted, if you don't want to maintain it anymore, I might take over and host it, with your permission. I would probably re-implement it in Sinatra and host it at Heroku, if you agree, basically keeping the same functionality, although I'm interested in supporting multiple languages at some point.

Regards!

---
Martín Salías

Sergey

Sergey Shishkin

Jan 28, 2013, 5:44:16 PM1/28/13
to architect...@googlegroups.com
The website is actually static HTML, which source code is available here: https://bitbucket.org/TedNeward/archkatas/

The repo however doesn't state an OSS license explicitly and all the pages have are marked with "© Neward & Associates 2012" :(

Ted Neward

Jan 28, 2013, 6:38:05 PM1/28/13
to architect...@googlegroups.com

Sorry, guys, just finding this thread now.

Yeah, I’d not really intended to have multiple copies of the website out there—I’d put the code into BB so that others could fork the katas themselves, sure, but I really didn’t think the website code was all that exciting.

That said…. I also didn’t expect the web host to disappear.

I don’t really have the time to fix this right now, so if somebody wants to find a web host that can host static HTML (I say that with a grin) that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg, I’d love to let that happen. As I said, I hadn’t thought about open-sourcing the web pages, but I could be convinced to yank the copyright off—I did that more as a reflex action than anything else. The tricky thing will probably be the DNS settings, since I was going for “cheap” and ended up registering the domain name with some “let us build the site for you” company before I realized that they couldn’t just let me upload straight HTML pages. :-/ I really should take a day or two and gather up all my DNS under one domain registrar, but I just haven’t made the time to do that.

So… TL;DR, if somebody wants to take point on this, I’ll do whatever I can to support it.

Ted Neward

Java, .NET, XML Services

Consulting, Teaching, Speaking, Writing

http://www.tedneward.com

Martín Salías

Jan 28, 2013, 7:51:09 PM1/28/13
to architecturalkatas
Hi Ted.

I'm just oing on a week vacation with my family, but if nobody else took this, I'll get the HTML and refit it to Heroku, then I'll see if you can point the DNS or we can register the closer domain we can get. I'd leave the copyright there, anyway. It is ok for me.

Cheers!

---
Martín Salías

Sergey Shishkin

Jan 29, 2013, 5:59:57 AM1/29/13
to architect...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ted,

Thanks for heads up! The copyright is not bad per se, it just obligates to request that "right to copy" (which I assume you've just granted me) in absence of an explicit OSS license.

I'd put the site on heroku at http://archkatas.herokuapp.com. The code required for heroku is in my fork: https://bitbucket.org/shishkin/archkatas/commits/2ad191c77edfd83ac057f611be1ab86e. The heroku app is already configured to be accessed via both architecturalkatas.com and www.architecturalkatas.com as soon as you redirect your DNS registrar to archkatas.herokuapp.com.

The app runs on a free heroku plan under my account. As soon as anyone notice any capacity limitations let me know and I'll be happy to transfer it to someone else's paid plan :)

Cheers,
Sergey

Martín Salías

Jan 29, 2013, 6:50:02 AM1/29/13
to architecturalkatas
Thanks, Sergey!

---
Martín Salías

Ted Neward

Jan 29, 2013, 4:10:37 PM1/29/13
to architect...@googlegroups.com

Yep, but just so you have this for your records:

“I, Ted Neward, hereby grant Sergey Shishkin full rights to copy the code for the Architectural Katas website.”

That way you can demonstrate explicit intent to a judge should any legal things creep up. (Not that I have any intention of suing you, mind you—but it’s better to be safe than sorry.)

Now I just have to go back through my personal email archives and figure out how to edit and/or transfer the domain name to a registrar and then edit the entries.

Frankly, Sergey, what we (I, really) should do is create an account explicitly for this and use that—being static HTML I can’t see that it would suck up much in the way of compute resources but at the very least it shouldn’t be draining from your paid account.

Ted Neward

Leading, Speaking, Consulting, Writing

Ted Neward

Feb 7, 2013, 9:34:05 PM2/7/13
to architect...@googlegroups.com

OK, step one (getting the domain transferred to a domain registrar that isn’t brain-dead) is complete.

Step two (either getting a new site set up or pointing the domain names to Sergey’s URL) yet to come.

Sergey, PLEASE let me know as soon as you incur even a penny of charge for this. Since you’ve done the work to host it, I plan on giving you props for it, at the very least, and as long as you’re not having to pay out of pocket for it, I’m happy to leave it there.

Ted Neward

Leading, Speaking, Consulting, Writing

http://www.tedneward.com

Sergey Shishkin

Feb 8, 2013, 4:00:31 AM2/8/13
to architect...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ted,

Sergey

Ted Neward

Feb 9, 2013, 1:04:47 AM2/9/13
to architect...@googlegroups.com

Hey, I found an even *better* option: site44.com. They do a really cool static-website-hosting integration with Dropbox, and you can host up to 5 sites for free. I still need to re-point the domains, but http://architecturalkatas.site44.com is already up and running.

The nice thing is, since all the katas themselves are pulled by JavaScript in the browser, both Sergey and I can keep our sites running live without a problem. Use either as you see fit, until I get the domain name pointed in the right place. (Sergey, you’re more than welcome to keep your site running even after the domain is fixed, as far as I’m concerned. It’s nice to have a backup in place. :-) )

FWIW, Site44 is a local (Seattle) startup, one which I kinda hope is around for a long, long time. The Dropbox integration is just such a freakin’ cool idea, I don’t know why I didn’t do this earlier.