Recent Archipelago GitHub Issues & Request for Feedback

Allison Lund

Apr 16, 2021, 2:15:44 PM4/16/21
to archipelago commons

Hello everyone,

Hope you’ve all been enjoying the spring season so far!

In case you are not following Archipelago’s GitHub repos, stopping by to share some links to recent Issues which may be of interest for your Archipelago and repository workflows. Please take a look at both of these issue postings and feel free to share your comments, questions and recommendations—via GitHub, this thread, or other channels. All comments and contributions are very welcome and much appreciated!

1.) isPartOf, hasPart (Simple Compound) Objects Configurations: https://github.com/esmero/archipelago-deployment/issues/105

*Also see related (circa January 2020) post on Collection Management by Diego Pino: https://groups.google.com/g/archipelago-commons/c/MQHUxU3_9wA/m/xmL7_rXWFQAJ)

2.) Add a FCREPO/Solr import plugin to help with Islandora 7 migrations: https://github.com/esmero/ami/issues/21

Thank you for time! Take care and have a great weekend!

Allison

Allison Lund
Digital Projects and Metadata Librarian
Metropolitan New York Library Council

dp...@metro.org

Apr 20, 2021, 11:49:54 AM4/20/21
to archipelago commons
Good Morning nice people! Thanks so much Allison for sharing this with the community

A few personal updates on the "Simple Compound" Site building task. First, we are going to stop using the word Compound officially in the project and slowly shift to something semantically more meaningful. Not that you need to stop referring to those as compounds, its just how Archipelago will do it from now on. An Archipelago Digital Object is already a shallow aggregation of Metadata and files/media, many of those if you want and can act as what we/you all know as a compound. The replacement term here is coming from the Schema.org Ontology and is a Creative Works Series. A Series because it is an ordered list of many Digital Objects, which can be different in Media/metadata but have a meaning as a whole.

So, that said, for Creative Works Series we will include in RC2 deployment a few things to make this easier: (FYI with some love it can be done already in RC1 and Beta3 too)

First, Top/Creative Work Series Objects will use the Digital Collection Content Type. Same one used for Top Newspapers, Collections (of course), Podcast, Serials, etc. That makes the difference between Item Level (a single thing - Digital Object) v/s Grouping Level (Parent of single things, Digital Collection Object) easier to understand when building awesome workflows.
Second. We will include an extra IIIF manifest for Collections and one for Creative Work Series Metadata Template (Twig). This is a new Twig Template that will use the power of Solr to generate blazing fast results. This IIIF Manifest will allow you to show/expose all the children ADOs inside a single Viewer like Mirador if you want so. For mixed media we are still evaluating Universal Viewer. Main reason we have not went for it yet is because it can not be delivered via CDN but we are thinking about it...
Third (see an ordered listing!) We will include a Block/Views/Solr Driven so you can display Children down/left/right with navigation.
Fourth. We will also include Solr Fields for supporting predicates (isPartOf, etc) and parent ADO title/Collection/type indexing too for faceting, filtering, etc.
Fifth. we hope you have comments/ideas and requests regarding this. It will be fun if you are part of this.
Six. There will be future work on per ADO file tagging/grouping to deal with Creative Work Series made out of already complex ADOs (e.g Podcast Episode with a PDF, an Audio and a Video and transcripts)

Extra fun part. No code involved in all this. It is Site building, Views and Twig templates. But its still time/care and devotion so we do hope you love this as much as we do!

Big hugs and thanks again Allison for sharing the Github issues.

Best

Diego Pino