If the ground is shaking its because Release Candidate 2 (1.0.0-RC2) is happening today.

dp...@metro.org

May 14, 2021, 10:22:35 AM5/14/21
to archipelago commons
Good night, morning, noon and afternoon, Friday or Saturday dearest people

For a few days/weeks we have been working on finally packaging into a digestible and usable form all the new documentation, features, bug fixes, configurations, options and goodies everyone has contributed in the last 4 months (since RC1 went out) and today is the day we plan to/will make all public.

A release is a lot of human labor, its Documentation, Code, Site building, testing, re-testing, checking, triple checking (and double sometimes), coffee and tears, merges, laughs and a lot of A-ha moments!

Why such a fuzz (really its not much fuzz) for a Release Candidate? Do people like us not do this like every day? Well, our release candidates are not code only for us (code has been usable every single day and evolving since beta2), these little candidates are always rich in vitamins and probiotics and low in cholesterol but they pack a lot of vegetable protein and weight a ton. What in other realms may be seen as a full 2.0 or 3.0 release.

Statement: We are still on the RC road because we care about showing working code as implementations, testing, using and describing, we are humans (there may be some dogs involved but normally only watching for a zoom call to end to get a treat) and we want to be sure 1.0.0 is not a wish-wana-be-dream but a stable, lovely, Repository system and implementation that covers all the use cases you already have and allows also you to use all the things you never knew you would "ever" need to make wonderful Cultural Heritage, Museum, Library, Archive, Gallery, Data, Science, Education sites that make your users happy (and yourself proud).

Once we finish packing all the things, branches will get updated, Readme's modified, maybe a few more extra tests and we will go public here. At what time today (in some parts is already tomorrow)? Not sure yet! But we are really working hard. Extra hard. Please be patient!

That is all for now, back to Site Building and more info soon (hope ground stopped shaking there!), will then prepare the release notes and cheesy human notes about the wonderful people that made(and make everyday) this possible

Hugs

Diego Pino on behalf of the caring Archipelago team

Allison Lund

May 14, 2021, 4:48:45 PM5/14/21
to Diego Pino, archipelago commons
Hello everyone,

Checking in with a quick Archipelago RC2 status update: site building, testing, and triple-checking processes are still bubbling away. Keep staying tuned in for the fuller release announcement heading your way soon.

For a sneak peak of all the exciting functionality that’s been shaped with care and baked into RC2 over the past few months, consider taking a scroll through the Archipelago Specs and Features 1.0.0-RC2 Pre-Release Notes

All of us on Team Archipelago are much looking forward to working with you as we navigate the calm and clear Archipelago RC2 waters in the days ahead.

Thank you & take care,
Allison
Allison Lund
Digital Projects and Metadata Librarian
Metropolitan New York Library Council

dp...@metro.org

May 14, 2021, 9:47:09 PM5/14/21
to archipelago commons

Hello everyone,

Re RC2: there is a huge pull request waiting to be merged (by myself) with all the new modules, version and configs, docker and so on. The new Demo machine (Nicknamed A cat's pajamas) is working pretty well (and looking pretty too) but i really want to be completely sure-sure everything is working without any issues so will give all a few installations, tests, ingests, etc and I may not be trusting my eyes anymore.

A few bugs were fixed too , there are always things when you try to push new functionality and some other things are being debugged in Drupal Core, but new IIIF Manifests, complete Creative Work Series support via Mirador, Mixed Images + PDFs in a single Manifest for Oral Histories (transcripts + portraits), etc, etc, etc + lets add another etc. make all this worth.

Not sure how many more hours I do have left of positive energy but maybe before midnight all will be well and I will feel comfortable merging and updating installation README.md. If not, tomorrow is still another day and Sunday, well another one!. We are so so close, pretty close but we are perfectionists so there is that and also that.

Good night for now and thanks for following this Group

Cheers

Diego