AMI (Archipelago Multi Importer) coming to 1.0.0

dp...@metro.org

Sep 22, 2020, 4:30:59 PM9/22/20
to archipelago commons
Hi Folks,

We are dangerously (fast but not furious) reaching the 1.0.0-RC1 state this week and i'm really hoping energy will be enough to have a community demo and deployable (with docs) by Friday late night available. FYI: I'm human. RC1 means probably some bugs can pop up, and you all will have a lots of questions, but also means testing a lot and freezing new features. I plan on having max 3 Release Candidates and then go public with a 1.0.0 version. Suffice to say it will be a Drupal 9 one and a Drupal 8 release and we will provide deployment docs for both options. PS: Drupal 9 and Archipelago are all friends and running (vacation like) free in Italy (literary) which makes us very happy.

Ok, now that is out: but as the subject of this posts says: AMI, our UI driven importing/editing (massively, in quantity but also in flexibility) tool is one of the newest features for 1.0.0-RC1 and while i code and dream with new use cases and things and make typos while coding, I wanted to ask you for any wishful feature requests regarding one, a single one, part of this wonderful (and awkwardly named software), and that part is the DATA SOURCE for importing.

As i speak i have coded the following Importing mechanisms/ Data Sources
- CSV (simplest one not much to say here)
- Spreadsheet (Microsoft, OpenOffice, strange Formats but still file based)
- Google Spreadsheets (as we do already in IMI, so this is an URL,remote)
- JSON files (like we do via Drush terminal but with the choice of a Single huge one)
- JSON APIs (any API that can serve JSON), this one acts on remote sources and can, eventually harvest Solr endpoints (but it requires you to pass arguments the API uses to Page results (so we don't read 1.000.006 records at once and kill archipelago and our friendship) and uses NO authentication. So you need to provide the permissions for archipelago to get the data.
- OAI-PMH. Yes. Not ready ready tbh (coding this today and probably Thursday late).
- Self. Yes. Archipelago-2-Archipelago

Ok.I feel its plenty, but still: So any one has any other option/need? Like a specific Solr version, some strange API, some obscure wishful endpoint? SMS? Slack? Voice mail?

Extremely open to work on a new plugin for AMI is there is a use case (please make your point), idea would be to have this (or these if you all feeling fancy) new data source(s) ready for RC-3.

If anyone has questions about AMI and the features it includes happy to answer here or feel also free to wait for the Release Candidate 1 announcement (will be brief i promise.. i mean, i can try at least)

Best!

Diego

Nate Hill

Sep 22, 2020, 5:52:57 PM9/22/20
to dp...@metro.org, archipelago commons
Amazing, Diego!

AMI dreams?
A point-and-shoot, UI based CONTENTdm-to-Archipelago importer.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/archipelago-commons/d40b8827-cd47-4b9d-8bb0-fa7fdff78428n%40googlegroups.com.

--
Nate Hill
Executive Director

Derek Merleaux

Sep 23, 2020, 9:08:22 AM9/23/20
to archipelago commons
Thanks for the update, Diego this is very exciting!
Can't wait to start bulk uploading all the things.
Best,
Derek

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 4:31 PM dp...@metro.org <dp...@metro.org> wrote:

Derek Merleaux

Senior Consultant and Project Manager

Pronouns: he/him/his.

Born-Digital | 84 Russell St, Hadley MA | (413) 259-8787 ext.113 | born-digital.com

Allison Lund

Sep 23, 2020, 9:36:51 AM9/23/20
to archipelago commons

Very exciting indeed Diego! AMI will be a significant and empowering advancement for the Archipelago community.

Also looking forward to bulk uploading things.

Thank you for sharing (not to mention creating/coding/crafting)!

Allison

--
Allison Lund
Digital Projects and Metadata Librarian