SMTP

Lorraine Botros

Oct 28, 2020, 10:45:40 AM10/28/20
to archipelago commons

Hi Diego -

My name is Lorraine Botros and I work at the Wisser Library of NYIT. Nancy and Rosemary are my supervisors and I have been in charge of the repository for the last two years.

We have been using OMEKA, however, I am very excited to try out Archipelago.

I took some time to install a docker version of Archipelago and got to the point of seeing the demo page. When I tried to setup a login I got the following message:

Unable to send email. Contact the site administrator if the problem persists.

I think it has something to do with the SMTP settings, however, I am unsure how to fix it.

Thanks for your assistance.

-Lorraine

Allison Lund

Oct 28, 2020, 11:06:37 AM10/28/20
to archipelago commons
Hi Lorraine,

My name is Allison Lund, Digital Projects & Metadata Librarian with METRO.

Great to read that you are excited to try out Archipelago, and that have had made good progress in your deployment testing!

Did you install a local instance of Archipelago? Or did you setup a public instance?

Thank you,
Allison

Allison Lund

Nov 2, 2020, 4:36:52 PM11/2/20
to archipelago commons
Hi everyone,

The conversation between myself and Lorraine moved off this space after these initial messages.

Following up here to share that a brief tutorial for SMTP configuration has been posted to the General Q&A section of Archipelago’s Github documentation:
https://github.com/esmero/archipelago-documentation/blob/8x-1.0-beta3/docs/generalqa.md#smtp-configuration

Thanks again for reaching out Lorraine.
Allison

Lorraine Botros

Nov 4, 2020, 11:35:59 AM11/4/20
to Allison Lund, archipelago commons
Hi Allison -

Good Morning. I hope you are doing well and not to stress for the election results :).

I login as admin and get the following warning. Is it a good idea to update drupal security at this point?

  • There is a security update available for your version of Drupal. To ensure the security of your server, you should update immediately! See the available updates page for more information and to install your missing updates.
  • There are security updates available for one or more of your modules or themes. To ensure the security of your server, you should update immediately! See the available updates page for more information and to install your missing updates.

Best regards,

-Lorraine

Message has been deleted

Lorraine Botros

Nov 4, 2020, 11:49:37 AM11/4/20
to Allison Lund, archipelago commons
Great. Thank you and stay well.

On Nov 4, 2020, at 11:47 AM, Allison Lund <al...@metro.org> wrote:

Good morning Lorraine,

Hope you are doing well and not too stressed about the election results either. (Trying to stay positive, oy!)

It is ok to ignore/dismiss these warnings for your local testing instance.

Regarding the message you sent yesterday, thank you for sharing the summary of what you’d eventually like to do. Your planned approach sounds good, logical to me. I am familiar with Omeka (was site administrator for 2 Omeka installs at my previous instution), but also have not used the OAI-PMH plugin you referenced (had no need to). At Metro, we have harvested Dublin Core data and files via OAI-PMH for other repository systems, so please let me/us know if we can help you work out any kinks you happen upon in that process.

Hope the rest of your Archipelago goes well.

Thanks again for following up and keeping us in the loop.

Take care,
Allison

Diego Pino

Nov 4, 2020, 11:51:02 AM11/4/20
to Lorraine Botros, Allison Lund, archipelago commons
Hi Lorraine, yes! anxiety is present but also hope pretty much alive =)

Each release comes bundled with the versions of packages we can ensure that work at the time of release, when Beta3 was out 8.9.7 was not yet released, but! If you have the time:

You can update to 8.9.7  https://www.drupal.org/project/drupal/releases/8.9.7 but since 1.0.0-RC1 is coming fast (I have been saying that for a few weeks I know but it is!) and beta3 may still have some legacy code I would maybe suggest you wait for the larger update with also all the new features a little bit longer.

Specially since you are running a local instance and none of the security concerns affect Archipelago

If you go for the update, you can try this command

docker exec -ti esmero-php bash -c "php -dmemory_limit=-1 /usr/bin/composer require drupal/core:8.9.7” and all should/may go well (you may need to run after a drush command too)

You may see this  (if all goes well...)
Updating dependencies (including require-dev)
Package operations: 1 install, 1 update, 0 removals
Gathering patches for root package.
Gathering patches for dependencies. This might take a minute.
  - Updating drupal/core (8.9.2 => 8.9.7): Downloading (100%)

docker exec -ti esmero-php bash -c "drush -y updatedb"

Make sure that the "double quotes” of those commands are the simple and correct ones, my email client tends to replace them for  the fancy “” , so you may want to retype them just to be sure.

Please let us know if the update worked (or not) and check your Drupal logs afterwards and do some sanity ingest/testing

If not, we can help you get to 1.0.0-RC1 branches of our modules that are already tested with 8.9.7 and 9.x

Hugs!

Diego Pino Navarro
Assistant Director for Digital Strategy
Archipelago architect