release 0.9.1

temsa

Jan 22, 2009, 1:08:34 PM1/22/09
to Archetype Javascript Framework - User Group
If you have read the previous posts, you know that the 0.9.0 is out
for about a week now. With Francois' help (end patch), we've improved
the unit test and corrected 2 bugs since.

As one of the goal of the 0.9.0 was to make it easy to provide a new
release, so here is a new one !

We hope to provide a lot of small releases now, in order to release
more often and giving you more visibility about what we do :)

I'm currently moving the website to another server, including the jira
bugtracker, so the website will be updated in about a week in order to
reflect the update. One of the las snapshot version of the website is
available at http://archetypejs.org/snapshot/ so you wille find their
a more up to date documentation.

You can download the new release here : https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=194362

Here are both the changelog of the 0.9.0 and 0.9.1 :

----
01-23-2009 : 0.9.1 - Damn small enhancements

- Managed the callbacks in requireComponent for component creation
easily thanks to François

- Added François as our first external contributor

- Enhanced the UnitTest

- Corrected a bug in synchronous mode with the require (in order for
it to pass the unit tests)
- Corrected the Copyright years (what a big modification !!! :-o )

** Improvement
* [AJF-40] - Enhance the Archetype.requireComponent method

01-19-2009 : 0.9.0 - Switch to Prototype 1.6 !

- Added a tool to do URL management.

- Bundled RSH and Nitobibug, however, they aren't used yet.

- Added some fading animation when changing slide in Slidy

- Added some configurations in Slidy

- Moved exemples to the "BasicSample" directory

** Bug

* [AJF-56] - Callback on require html files already loaded

** Improvement

* [AJF-12] - Use Prototype 1.6.x

** New Feature

* [AJF-19] - Have state information in a graphical component

* [AJF-42] - providing an "eval script" API

* [AJF-50] - Add Nitobi Bug as a backend logger

* [AJF-57] - Create some handy URL tools

** Task

* [AJF-47] - Regenerate site JSDoc
----

Enjoy :)

temsa

Jan 26, 2009, 12:29:14 PM1/26/09
to Archetype Javascript Framework - User Group
In fact, the synchronous bug fix will be for 0.9.2, a push has been
forgotten in order for it to be in the 0.9.2. However, you'll won't
have to wait a long time for the 0.9.2, I think this will be out
tonight :)

Meanwhile, the archetype jquery branch is almost ready to work (see
http://bitbucket.org/Swiip/archetype-jquery/overview/ ). In fact this
branch starterd as a test, has leaded to a new abstraction in
archetype : the basic layer. This role was given to Prototype, however
Prototype isn't the only good library available on the net.

jQuery has now grown to be maybe the most used js framework (at least
for new developments) on the net. It's clean and efficient (even if
not really as featureful as Prototype without plugins), and is plugin
based, with very good plugins out there, and a very good ui framwork
(for me, jQuery-ui is far above scriptaculous), and John Resig
(jQuery' maintainer) is surely one of the best JS developer out there.

So, this major modification won't probably lead to a 1.0, but to a
0.10.0, and this will lead to a compatibility break, notably

You may ask, but when will be the 1.0? The major features we're
planning for 1.0 are ( for most of the features, it's a reminder) :

- automatic file bundling and compression (css sprites, js file bundle
aggregated by following the dependencies, probably template bundles
too) using maven plugins (probably using a java programmed that will
be launched thorugh a maven plugin, in order for those who don't want
to use maven not to use it)

- declarative behaviors for graphical components ( see for example
syntax of http://weblogs.asp.net/bleroy/archive/2009/01/18/javascript-behavior-sheets-an-experiment.aspx
or http://docs.dojocampus.org/dojo/behavior )

- recursive graphical component including throught the template

- a graphical component will probably be stored in a dom element

- components may have "states", which may help for mutliview
components likes wizards, using different templates depending on the
curent state.

- browser history handling (as automatic as possible, or at least as
simple as possible) through (probably) rsh

Meanwhile, their may be a 0.11, with a possible compatibility break
(not sure though), in order to simplify the boot process and not using
Page controller when not necessary. In most applications, page
controller could have been replaced by a simple callback, a graphical
component, or a declarative list of component to instantiate. The only
really usefull idea in Page controller is defining an Application
configuration file that defines custom configurations and can override
archetype.conf.js defaults for this particular application.

So well, there is a lot of work and any help is welcome : this can be
just discussion about how to implement this feature to patchs like
Francois' ones. We're tjhinking about doing some documentation on how
to hack in archetype.

Francois, you have an external view of how hard hacking Archetype is,
can you give us some feedbacks ?

Cheers,
Florian