v5.1 Manage Permissions - how to hide resource from predictive hit list?

manxnation...@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2021, 10:46:08 AM4/6/21
to Arches Project

Hello - we really like the Manage Permissions function in Arches v5.1, but we have a user query, i.e. those resources where Manage Permission is applied and the resource is ‘hidden’ from anonymous public user.  Can we also ‘hide’ the resource from the predictive hit list?

E.g. I search ‘burial’, I click on a resource in the predictive dropdown hit list and – because the resource is ‘hidden’ – it comes up ‘0’ results.  Just a bit misleading to the user, is there a tweak we can apply to the resources?

Thanks as ever for any feedback on this,

Jude.

(Manx National Heritage, Isle of Man HER)

Lindsey Gant

Apr 8, 2021, 3:22:29 PM4/8/21
to Arches Project
Hi Jude,

Thanks for your message! Would you mind offering a bit of clarification for the problem you are having?  As I understand it, you would like there to be an indication that resources exist to the public user even though that resource is hidden, is that correct?

With your clarification, I can help guide someone to assist.

Thanks!

Lindsey
Getty Conservation Institute, Arches

manxnation...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2021, 4:54:47 AM4/13/21
to Arches Project
Hey Lindsey,

Thanks for getting in touch.  I've attached 3 screengrabs of an example to illustrate.  Problem is (using this example):

Ballanorris Keeill is set for 'No Access' for anonymous user.  Okay.

Anonymous user searches 'Ballanorris' and the resource 'Ballanorris Keeill' appears in predicative list.  User therefore assumes that the resource is available to click and view.

Anonymous user clicks 'Ballanorris Keeill' from the predictive list and (disappointingly, confusingly for the user) the result says '0'.

Question - can I prevent those resources which are 'No Access' for anonymous user from appearing in the predictive list for anonymous user?  When the resource is hidden from an an anonymous user we don't want it to appear in the predictive search list.

...attachment function not working for me...I'll attach 3 screengrabs in new post...

Thanks,

Jude.

Dennis Wuthrich

Apr 15, 2021, 2:57:06 PM4/15/21
to Arches Project
Hi Jude,

Thanks for the additional detail on your search/permissions question.  Your problem sounds like a bug, as Arches is designed so that search matches only appear in the dropdown (e.g.: your "predictive list") if the user's permission level allows.

It would be great if you could submit a ticket to the Arches repository (https://github.com/archesproject/arches) describing the problem and your specific Arches configuration (e.g.: server operating system, Arches version, browser used for testing).

Cheers,

Dennis

manxnation...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2021, 7:02:26 AM4/16/21
to Arches Project
Hey Dennis - thanks, this is good to know.  I've just submitted a ticket on github.  Ours is a new install of Arches v5.1 so might be some bugs floating around to just chase down.

Thanks again,

Jude.