Help with getting a WMS vector overlay to show in Arches 5.1.1

Brett Ferguson

Mar 29, 2021, 4:28:46 PM3/29/21
to Arches Project
I've been trying to add a WMS vector overlay to our Arches project, and I seem to have all the linkages working, however nothing is showing up on the map.

I've defined the Map Source as follows in the <base_url>/admin/models page:

and the Map Layer as:

[{"id": "borden-grid", "type": "fill", "source": "Borden Grid",  "source-layer": "pub:WHSE_ARCHAEOLOGY.RAAD_BORDENGRID"}]

with a few different types (fill, line, fill-extrusion), but nothing shows up on the map. I can see the WMS URL being called from Arches (eg https://openmaps.gov.bc.ca/geo/pub/WHSE_ARCHAEOLOGY.RAAD_BORDENGRID/ows?bbox=-13658379.710221574,6261721.357121639,-13619243.951739565,6300857.115603648&format=pbf&styles=4157&transparent=false&service=WMS&version=1.3.0&request=GetMap&srs=EPSG:3857&width=512&height=512&layers=pub:WHSE_ARCHAEOLOGY.RAAD_BORDENGRID )  and verified with ogrinfo that the pbf file returned by the WMS endpoint is valid with a number of Polygon objects in it, but without effect on the search map.

I'm not seeing any exceptions in the browser console other than "The operation is insecure" which looks like the source code location is a GUID. Although the Access-Control-Allow-Origin is set to null in the header, I'm not seeing an CORS errors that I would normally expect to see in the browser console if that was an issue.

Just wondering if I'm missing something here, and if there is a good way to trace down why nothing is showing up on the map.

Many thanks,

Brett

Adam Cox

Mar 29, 2021, 4:41:58 PM3/29/21
to Brett Ferguson, Arches Project
Hi Brett, here is a working GeoServer WMS that I have in one of my own projects: https://github.com/legiongis/fpan/blob/master/fpan/fixtures/1919-coastal-map.json. This is a Django fixture, which I've found to be a very clean way to store map layers for upload (you can see some other examples in that repo).

Just comparing that one to yours, I think you'll at least need to change your "type" to "raster" in the source.

Good luck! These are all examples that should get into the https://github.com/archesproject/arches-map-layers repo when we can actually update it...

Adam

Brett Ferguson

Mar 29, 2021, 5:19:00 PM3/29/21
to Arches Project
Hi Adam -

Thank you for for the quick reply! I had previously seen your raster example and I managed to get a raster version working.

What I'm trying to do here is provide a selectable vector overlay that can be used as a source for new feature creation. Do you know if there are any examples of this (at least as far as using a WMS for a vector overlay)? Previously in Arches 4.3.x I was importing the layer using the add-tileserver-layer which I see has been removed from Arches 5. So I'm not sure what the best approach is to provide this functionality.

I've seen the repo you mentioned above, and I'm guessing that everything under the tileserver/ directory is now obsolete with the deprecation of the add-tileserver-layer functionality in Arches. Is there another process that can be used to replace importing vector tiles directly into Arches? My thought was to use the WMS to host the vector overlay and then I was going to work on making it selectable (I see some instructions about doing that in the documentation), which is when I started stumbling with the above.

Thanks again!

Brett

Adam Cox

Mar 29, 2021, 5:53:35 PM3/29/21
to Brett Ferguson, Arches Project
Ah, I really misunderstood then, I didn't even know you could request pbf format through WMS. Sorry, I'm not going to be much more help on that front. You've probably already seen this stack exchange answer, but just for good measure: https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/238301/mapbox-vector-tiles-from-geoserver-2-11-in-mapbox-gl-js it may have something helpful.

You are right though, the tileserver section does need to be removed from that repo. Hopefully we can put your example in there, once you do get it working.

Adam

Brett Ferguson

Mar 29, 2021, 6:06:59 PM3/29/21
to Arches Project
Thanks Adam -

I'll see if I can work it out using the process in the link. And thanks for the Raster fixture - that has definitely helped with the other raster overlays I need.

If and (hopefully) when I figure out the vector solution I'll definitely contribute to the example repo.

Brett

Brett Ferguson

Apr 13, 2021, 1:26:53 PM4/13/21
to Arches Project
Hi Adam -

So I have a functioning example of a vector layer being serviced by a WMS. What I have working is a layer coming from the BC Government WMS in pbf format. Do you have any thoughts about a good example layer from a public WMS to use as an example in the Arches Git repo? If not I'll do some digging.

Brett

Adam Cox

Apr 14, 2021, 2:40:01 PM4/14/21
to Arches Project
Hey Brett, no not one off the top of my head. I'd say anything that can be publicly shared would be just fine for now (i.e. the content and geographic extent aren't too big a concern).

Thanks!