Arches Collector Error

survey...@gmail.com

Jan 21, 2021, 3:43:42 PM1/21/21
to Arches Project
Hi,

I am running Arches 5.0 in a development environment on an Apache server.
I followed the setup as of the Arches Collector Checklist

When I create a collector project, every time I hit 'Save Edits'  I get a red bar with

Unable to save collector project

[object Object]

Nonetheless it saved the collector project, losing the entries for start/end and the basement source.

The Apace error log mentions an  incorrect password. Which password is that?

Did you come across this one before?

Thank you

Jens

Here's the Apache error log:

arches.app.views.mobile_survey ERROR    ('unauthorized', 'Name or password is incorrect.')

Traceback (most recent call last):

 File "/home/ubuntu/Projects/arches/arches/app/views/mobile_survey.py", line 371, in post

   mobile_survey.save()

 File "/home/ubuntu/Projects/arches/arches/app/models/mobile_survey.py", line 93, in save

   db = self.couch.create_db("project_" + str(self.id))

 File "/home/ubuntu/Projects/arches/arches/app/utils/couch.py", line 30, in create_db

   return self.couch.create(name)

 File "/home/ubuntu/Projects/ENV/lib/python3.6/site-packages/couchdb/client.py", line 221, in create

   self.resource.put_json(name)

 File "/home/ubuntu/Projects/ENV/lib/python3.6/site-packages/couchdb/http.py", line 578, in put_json

   **params)

 File "/home/ubuntu/Projects/ENV/lib/python3.6/site-packages/couchdb/http.py", line 596, in _request_json

   headers=headers, **params)

 File "/home/ubuntu/Projects/ENV/lib/python3.6/site-packages/couchdb/http.py", line 592, in _request

   credentials=self.credentials)

 File "/home/ubuntu/Projects/ENV/lib/python3.6/site-packages/couchdb/http.py", line 419, in request

   raise Unauthorized(error)

 couchdb.http.Unauthorized: ('unauthorized', 'Name or password is incorrect.')

Adam Cox

Jan 21, 2021, 4:11:06 PM1/21/21
to Arches Project
Hi Jens, this would be the CouchDB username/password. You should double-check the CouchDB installation from the instructions in the checklist (https://arches.readthedocs.io/en/stable/arches-collector-checklist/#install-couchdb). Especially, test the connection with the curl command that is listed, and then make sure that your arches project settings file has the correct url for couchdb (COUCHDB_URL = 'http://admin:[your password]@127.0.0.1:5984').

One further thing: I just found out that arches 5.1 (the latest core software release which I know you are not yet using) comes with

1) A new requirement that you have a celery broker installed and running. I wanted to point this out because the stable documentation which you are looking at is for 5.1 and shows the broker as a requirement for the app, but in reality you will be ok for the time being with out it.
2) The current release of the mobile app is not compatible with Arches 5.1. I just learned this a couple of days ago and we don't have a note about it in the documentation yet. Unfortunately, I don't know of any public release schedule for the mobile app update that I can point you to.

So, in short: Stick with Arches 5.0 for the moment (until a new mobile app release is made), don't worry about the celery broker (though it is a good thing to set up either way, also please see https://groups.google.com/g/archesproject/c/0HLd9nHSJU8), double-check your the credential settings you have for couchdb.

Good luck,
Adam

survey...@gmail.com

Jan 21, 2021, 4:40:42 PM1/21/21
to Arches Project
Hi Adam,

everything was setup as you mentioned - apart from the broken celeriac (sic!).

curl works:
{"couchdb":"Welcome","version":"2.3.1","git_sha":"c298091a4","uuid":"202a8f645596abb27ff55a070c976d36","features":["pluggable-storage-engines","scheduler"],"vendor":{"name":"The Apache Software Foundation"}}

Is it probably an ssl issue, because I am running everything on https. Maybe it's different when I try running couchdb on port 6984?
Another option is changing 127.0.0.1 to the actual fixed IP of the server.

Might that help?
Would do you think?
Jens

Adam Cox

Jan 21, 2021, 5:01:27 PM1/21/21
to Arches Project
Well the failure really looks like an internal communication between Arches and couchdb so I don't know that https would be involved at all... I'm assuming your test curl command used http, so if curl works, arches should be able to use that connection string as well.

To troubleshoot, I would add some print statements to trace the COUCHDB_URL through the system, to make sure that it actually is being used correctly here: https://github.com/archesproject/arches/blob/master/arches/app/utils/couch.py#L25. Perhaps just add print(settings.COUCHDB_URL) right after line 24 of that file, and make sure it is what you are expecting.

Adam

survey...@gmail.com

Jan 21, 2021, 5:38:45 PM1/21/21
to Arches Project