Resource descriptors - display name composed from more then one card

anjo.we...@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2021, 4:47:02 AM4/22/21
to Arches Project
Hi,

I would like to generate a composed display name using nodes from different cards of the same resource. Is this possible? Does it require a custom descriptor function?

Many thanks,
Anjo

andrew...@historicengland.org.uk

Apr 23, 2021, 5:56:47 AM4/23/21
to Arches Project
Hi Anjo,

You currently cannot do this. We have the same low priority requirement but have progressed it. It would be quite a tough task to create a generic descriptor function given the possibly complexity of a model and how cardinality between child and parent cards could be.

The work around we used was to create a "display card" and write a function that updates that card based on the specific rules of our model. The card itself is set to read-only so users cannot update it.

Andy

anjo.we...@gmail.com

Apr 26, 2021, 11:31:42 AM4/26/21
to Arches Project
Hi Andy,

Many thanks for your reply. I have not worked on this level of customization in Arches yet. Is the route to the workaround you indicate based on <Creating a Card Component> from the Arches documentation?

Many thanks for your help,
Anjo

andrew...@historicengland.org.uk

Apr 26, 2021, 12:21:40 PM4/26/21
to Arches Project
Anjo,

No, you want to look at creating a custom function.

You write a function that will trigger when one or more associated tiles (card data) is saved. In your function you can then lookup or create a tile for another card and set it's data based on your logic.

One of our public repos has some examples of functions that we wrote which creates or updates one tile with information from the one being saved.

Andy

anjo.we...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2021, 1:45:01 PM4/30/21
to Arches Project
Many thanks, Andy!
This is great and will help me dive into the customs functions topic.

Best wishes,
Anjo