Can synchronous data transfer be used for transferring large data in case of computer architecture and organization?

Anshul Gupta

May 7, 2021, 10:46:08 AM5/7/21
to Computer Organisation and Architecture
I have this confusion, can synchronous data transfer be used for transferring large data in case of computer architecture and organization?

I have read that synchronous data transfer can be used for transferring large data but I think it is true only in case of computer networks, in case of computer architecture and organization I think DMA is used for transferring large data. So if someone asks me whether synchronous data transfer can be used for transferring large data in case of computer architecture and organization. Should I say yes or no?

Smruti R. Sarangi

May 8, 2021, 1:19:05 AM5/8/21
to Anshul Gupta, Computer Organisation and Architecture
DMA and synchronous/asynchronous transfer are totally different concepts.

Synchronous data transfer refers to data transfer where the voltage transitions are synchronized with an external clock.
In asynchronous data transfer, there is no external clock. We need to figure out everything from a dedicated strobe signal
or from the transitions in the data.

Hope that clarifies.

-S. R. Sarangi

On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 8:16 PM Anshul Gupta <agup...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have this confusion, can synchronous data transfer be used for transferring large data in case of computer architecture and organization?

I have read that synchronous data transfer can be used for transferring large data but I think it is true only in case of computer networks, in case of computer architecture and organization I think DMA is used for transferring large data. So if someone asks me whether synchronous data transfer can be used for transferring large data in case of computer architecture and organization. Should I say yes or no?

Anshul Gupta

May 8, 2021, 5:54:50 AM5/8/21
to Smruti R. Sarangi, Computer Organisation and Architecture
Thank you for the clarification.

Yours sincerely
Anshul Gupta