DIY Concrete Countertop making class at Perennial on 10/19

Gene J. (GeekTinker)

Oct 16, 2013, 4:58:22 AM10/16/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I've signed up for this class. Today is the last day to register for the class. Cost is $35. If you've ever thought about learning how to cast concrete countertops, this would be a good time to do so.

The class is on 10/19 and today (Wednesday) is the last day to register for it.

EschewObfuscation

Oct 16, 2013, 3:14:28 PM10/16/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Hm. Money is tight, and that looks like largely a sales tool for their kit, but the concept (didn't realize that waxed concrete would work for a countertop at all) and maybe some data about moldmaking materials that work are both interesting. Could we talk you into giving a condensed report on what you learn?

Gene J. (GeekTinker)

Oct 18, 2013, 9:33:09 AM10/18/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I read between the lines on that class description, too. I'm willing to sit through the sales tool part of it to learn what they can teach though.  I'm sure after the class is over I'll have plenty of material to talk about what I learned.

Gene J.

Keith Rogers

Oct 18, 2013, 11:44:48 AM10/18/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I know a guy who redid his kitchen counter tops with the concrete method.  It was a combo of concrete, decorative dyes or whatever you want (think broken glass, rocks, beads, etc), and then a clear two-part resin that filled and sealed everything up.  There was room for going in just about any creative direction you can imagine.

Frank Kallal

Oct 18, 2013, 12:12:08 PM10/18/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I watched a Home improvement show that featured it.. I really seems a pretty simple process.. more in the Prep and the Mix.  then just being creative..

Andrew Beals

Oct 18, 2013, 12:43:47 PM10/18/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
And making sure that you get your forms right.

TOH has a slideshow on the topic:

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/photos/0,,20050150,00.html

And here's a video:

http://video.pbs.org/video/2352355774/

(Which does not want to play on linux (Mint 14, using Adobe's Flash).