Desoldering a chip

Charlie

Apr 13, 2013, 10:34:12 PM4/13/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi all. I'm trying to desolder a MC9s12xd256 chip off of an ECU from my car to try to read the firmware off it. I tried once and didn't do a very good job and the chip reader I have couldn't read it.

Any desoldering pros out there? I'd love some help with it! Thanks

Charlie
cmiller /at/ openrce \dot\ org

Ben West

Apr 13, 2013, 10:55:48 PM4/13/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
My recent adventures in attempting to desolder power supply caps from an iMac G5 didn't go especially well, although I was ultimately able to repair the Mac with some lucky jury-rigging.

That discussion thread yielded the recommendation for using Chip Quik to remove SMT parts with fine pin pitch, and I would echo that recommendation now.

It mixes with the existing solder and forms a lower melting point alloy that you can remove more easily ... then replace with leaded variety.

Ben West

Derek Sigler

Apr 13, 2013, 11:24:52 PM4/13/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Charlie,
I have some Quik Chip if you want to try it.
-derek

Keith Rogers

Apr 14, 2013, 2:36:12 AM4/14/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I've tested the chip quik recently and it worked great.  Plenty of YouTube videos out there to get a feel for it.

Charlie Miller

Apr 14, 2013, 3:35:45 PM4/14/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi and thanks to all the responses.  Yes, I tried using chip quik when I did it.  I still managed to break off a couple of the pins and bend a bunch of the others.  Like most things, when I tried it myself, it didn't go quite as smooth as the youtube videos :(

Charlie