What's the cheapest ISP going in STL for VoIP?

Kurtois

Feb 13, 2014, 10:34:46 AM2/13/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I have an elderly Mother that requires minimal Internet access.

I have VoIP setup for her. She also has a cell phone.

Just curious what folks think would be the most cost effective solution.

Chris Weiss

Feb 13, 2014, 10:40:08 AM2/13/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
ATT still has the cheapest option, and even their slowest offering
should handle VIOP ok. it's a LOT slower than charters cheapest
though

Kurtois

Feb 13, 2014, 10:49:04 AM2/13/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I am guessing you are referring to DSL for $14.95/month?

A quick check of AT&T's website shows Uverse availability in the area for $29.95/mo, which is equivalent to Charter's intro rate.

EschewObfuscation

Feb 13, 2014, 11:51:53 AM2/13/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I've just recently listened to the pitch for uverse service myself, so a few of the details are fresh: they're offering a 1 year teaser rate, comes in at around $60 for unlim voice and 12mbps receive net, clearly designed to be attractive to customers currently paying for a POTS line plus DSL. Perhaps that increases the information you have. They insist on performing the in-house installation, partly, I think, because the handset line ends up being downstream from the uverse box, where DSL can leave your conventional wiring untouched, just filtered at the end points.

ROB K

Feb 17, 2014, 12:19:34 AM2/17/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I actually miss the old DSL I had. Had about a 15-30ish ping in games and was amazing. 6mbs download 1.5mbs upload slow as hell. Now have uverse with the 12mbs up and down but ping in games are in the upper 80s. Lower if the TV STB is off.

Good news is that there is no more pixilated porn streaming, but I notice the lag a lot now in online games.

John Reskusich

Feb 17, 2014, 1:41:47 AM2/17/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Got charter today.  $30 a month.  I am getting 21mbs down 4.5 up.
Pretty nice update from the $30 a month 1.8mbs att was giving me with dsl.