September First Friday – Nintendo Night 9/3 5-9PM

Derek Sigler

Aug 27, 2021, 12:13:03 PMAug 27
to Arch Reactor
All,
First Fridays are returning to the usual format starting this month.  As a 501c3 non-profit this is an excellent opportunity for AR to engage with the public.  We usually haul over our display cart, show a few projects and let people know of us, our facility and upcoming events.  This is also a great way for our members to meet each other (hint: we have a lot of new members over the past year) and help fulfill the volunteer hours.  If we get at least 4 people to commit helping, we'll confirm our spot with the Science Center.  Let me know.
Thanks,
Derek

From above link:

September First Friday – Nintendo Night

Nintendo Night

September 3, 2021 – 5:00 PM – 9:00 PM

It’s “game on!” at our Nintendo Night First Friday, featuring all things games and gaming. Activities will include featured speakers, trivia, local game developers, and an Esports showcase. The event will wrap up with a special screening of Detective Pikachu.

In-person First Fridays are back! The Nintendo Night event will include educational activities, trivia, featured speakers, and food and drink specials.

#FridayGeekOut

What is First Friday?

Unless otherwise noted by the , all activities are FREE! All items marked with a  require tickets. Tickets for free screenings available at any box office starting at 4PM.

Not to Be Missed!

5:00 PM – 9:00 PM, Campus Wide
Duck Hunt

Find clues hidden throughout the building. Look for Nintendo character Easter eggs while on your quest!

7:00 PM, Energy Stage/LL
Special Presentation with Riot Games: Game Development and the Future of Gaming in St. Louis

6:00 – 7:30 PM, Energy Stage/LL
Super Smash Bros: Play in the OMNIMAX Theater

Sign up to play Super Smash Bros Ultimate in the OMNIMAX Theater or watch others play on the giant screen!

Ongoing Activities, 5:00 PM – 9:00 PM

First Floor-1

  • Watch a speed run of a classic Nintendo game or try out the giant NES Controller in the GameXPloration gallery. Sign up to join the Giant NES competition at 6:30pm!
  • Learn about the biology of Pokémon in the Life Science Lab.
  • Shop handmade Nintendo products and art works from local artists and crafters.

GROW-1

  • Take a picture with Pikachu at the Fermentation Station from

Lower Level-LL

  • Find out about the basics of coding and modify the mechanics of a video game with UMSL Technology Learning Center in the T. Rex Classroom.
  • Play a round of Super Smash Bros. in Dino Den with our Youth Exploring Science teens.
  • Visit Dancakes in May Hall to create a pancake of your favorite Nintendo character (or anything else you dream up!). Presented by Anime St. Louis and the Missouri Esports Conference.

Second Floor-2

  • Stop by the Makerspace and try out retro games. Learn how to make your own retro gaming system using a Raspberry Pi.
  • Check out local game St. Louis game developers.

The Loft-2

  • Visit the Loft for food and drink specials.

Planetarium-2

  • Test out the Blue Motion Simulators, the I-360 Interactive Flight Simulators, and our Virtual Reality Transporter (cost varies by activity).
  • Discover more about space exploration with St. Louis Space FrontierThe Moon Society, and other astronomical groups.

Scheduled Activities

5:00 PM, GameXPloration Gallery
Game Dev U.

Learn the basics of how to create a fun and compelling game. Spaces limited.

5:30 PM, Energy Stage/LL
8-bit Jam Session

Jam out with us on the musical Tesla Coil as we play your favorite 8-bit classic video game music! Keep an eye out for a special surprise guest.

6:00 PM, Energy Stage/LL
FREE- Trivia
Prizes awarded for best in each round and overall winner

6:30 PM, GameXPloration Gallery
FREE – Giant NES Controller Competition

Bring a friend and join the Giant NES competition. The team that gets the farthest through Super Mario Bros on the giant NES controller wins a prize! Sign up at the GameXP stage starting at 5pm. Limited spots available.

7:00 PM, Energy Stage/LL
FREE – Special presentation with Riot Games: Game Development and the Future of Gaming in St. Louis

Join a Q&A with a panel of game designers, developers, and producers from St. Louis company Riot Games, the creators of League of Legends and Valorant.

7:00 PM, Planetarium/2
FREE – Star Show: Live Sky Tonight

Relax under the clearest night sky in St. Louis as our skilled presenters lead you on tour of the best the night has to offer.

(45 minutes)

8:00 PM, OMNIMAX/2
Pokémon: Detective Pikachu

In a world where people collect Pokémon to do battle, a boy comes across an intelligent talking Pikachu who seeks to be a detective.

RATING: PG
RUNTIME: 104 MINUTES

Trailer

8:30 PM, Energy Stage/LL
8-bit Jam Session

Jam out with us on the musical Tesla Coil as we play your favorite 8-bit classic video game music! Keep an eye out for a special surprise guest.

Answers to Your First Friday Questions

How do I get free tickets? (for shows, presentations, activities, etc.)

  • Get your tickets at any box office. Science Center Members may use the Member-Only Ticket Line, at the Membership Desk. Tickets are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Each person is allowed up to four tickets for your group. Once you have a ticket, you must be in the theater by show time to claim your seat. If you decide not to use your ticket, please return it to the Membership Desk in the Main Building Lobby. Tickets turned in for sold-out shows will be redistributed at the Membership Desk until 30 minutes prior to show time. After this, visitors without tickets may wait in a standby line outside of the show’s venue. We will let in those standing by to fill all seats not claimed by show time.

What are the costume guidelines?

  • We encourage guests to wear costumes!
    We encourage guests to wear costumes! Weapons as part of costumes are subject to the approval of Saint Louis Science Center Security. No firearms or illegal weapons are allowed and if the weapon has a blade, you must have a covering for it. Masks or full-face helmets must be carried into the building.
    .

Price: First Fridays are free but some activities are ticketed.
Location: Entire Science Center Campus
Ages: All ages are welcome. First Friday activities such as presentations, pop culture trivia, and the OMNIMAX film are primarily designed for visitors 16 years and older.

Please note: First Friday events will follow all existing Saint Louis Science Center health and safety guidelines, including capacity guidelines.

Ages: All ages are welcome. First Friday activities such as presentations, pop culture trivia, and demonstrations are primarily designed for visitors 14 years and older.

Alex Hall

Aug 29, 2021, 12:12:00 PMAug 29
to Arch Reactor
I should be able to help out.

Derek Sigler

Aug 30, 2021, 12:12:55 PMAug 30
to Arch Reactor
We have two people signed up to volunteer on Friday .  Would like to have 3.  If you feel comfortable doing so drop me a line.
Thanks,
Derek

XSFX2000

Sep 1, 2021, 1:31:12 AMSep 1