Linux and RAID setup people please help?

battag...@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2014, 4:43:41 PM7/15/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Hey,
I need to make it out there to a meeting but haven't been able to yet, it's just kind of hard with the kids and whatnot but I would appreciate a little help from someone in the group. I have a bricked WD my book live duo and have been struggling getting the data off it for the last several days. If anyone can provide some assistance I would really appreciate it. Maybe a phone call or email discussion or an invite to come out to one of the meetings coming up. Ultimately I want to setup a RAID 10 or something and have my PC/Linux machine motherboard manage it but am trying to figure out how to save my data first. Thanks anyone!

Chris Weiss

Jul 15, 2014, 4:47:04 PM7/15/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
what do you mean by bricked? like, its firmware?

I've recovered a laclie with a bad controller in the past, it just
used LVM to span the 2 disks. just hook to a linux box and scan it
with the lvm stuff.

nfolken

Jul 15, 2014, 6:32:40 PM7/15/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
A quick search reveals to me that it can be run in a span or raid 1 mode, and that the OS is actually stored on a partition on the drives. Do you know which it was set for? Have you pulled the drives out of the enclosure? I can bring in a pair of usb docks to connect the bare drives to a laptop.

Have you tried these suggestions? http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Book-Live-Duo/GUIDE-Debrick-a-MyBookLive-DUO/td-p/544860

battag...@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2014, 6:54:19 PM7/15/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com, battag...@gmail.com
On Tuesday, July 15, 2014 3:43:41 PM UTC-5, battag...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hey,
> I need to make it out there to a meeting but haven't been able to yet, it's just kind of hard with the kids and whatnot but I would appreciate a little help from someone in the group. I have a bricked WD my book live duo and have been struggling getting the data off it for the last several days. If anyone can provide some assistance I would really appreciate it. Maybe a phone call or email discussion or an invite to come out to one of the meetings coming up. Ultimately I want to setup a RAID 10 or something and have my PC/Linux machine motherboard manage it but am trying to figure out how to save my data first. Thanks anyone!

EDIT: I pulled the power to hard reboot to try and get the web UI working, status LED has been yellow after indicating a failure to boot properly I guess.

So far I have removed the drives and connected to a PC and Linux Mint machine trying various access/read methods including Linux reader and the other mentioned in the article nfolken references. Hopeful on the LVM method, but would like to come in and meet the folks anyway and maybe have someone rescue my data.

Will report back on the LVM method, looks promising.

EschewObfuscation

Jul 16, 2014, 2:25:02 AM7/16/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com, battag...@gmail.com
These guys make a really good corrupted-drive utility for regular ntfs drives, their raid recovery tool may work equally well. Might want to consider it an option if other approaches don't pan out: https://www.runtime.org/raid.htm