New to me Dell SX270 - looking for info and power supply

Jim S

Dec 9, 2021, 10:39:43 PM12/9/21
to Arch Reactor
I picked up not one but 2 desktop cnc mills for cheap and ended up with a couple PCs that may or may not be related too in the lot of stuff.  Not familiar with the SX270 but would like to at least fire it up to see whats on it.  Haven't seen power supply connectors like this before and it has an odd combination of I/O.  It appears to have a serial and parallel port (good for driving stepper drivers with LinuxCNC).  But no VGA output - just DVI for video output.  It's a pentium 4 with a 40 GB hard drive.  It has one stick of memory marked 256 MB.  I could be wrong on some of this but that's what I saw from a quick look.

Derek Sigler

Dec 10, 2021, 9:00:20 AM12/10/21
to Arch Reactor
The last of the external power bricks eh?  Might be worth $16 for one.  Probably won't find one lying around.  So what model are the CNCs??
Inline image

On Thursday, December 9, 2021, 11:32:04 PM CST, Jim S <jimski...@gmail.com> wrote:

I picked up not one but 2 desktop cnc mills for cheap and ended up with a couple PCs that may or may not be related too in the lot of stuff.  Not familiar with the SX270 but would like to at least fire it up to see whats on it.  Haven't seen power supply connectors like this before and it has an odd combination of I/O.  It appears to have a serial and parallel port (good for driving stepper drivers with LinuxCNC).  But no VGA output - just DVI for video output.  It's a pentium 4 with a 40 GB hard drive.  It has one stick of memory marked 256 MB.  I could be wrong on some of this but that's what I saw from a quick look.

Chris Weiss

Dec 10, 2021, 10:22:43 AM12/10/21
to Arch Reactor

that is an unusual one, especially since it's 12V.  I found a pinout if you want to try a a differ 12V source on the laptop

the "remote" pins seem to be a signal to tell the PSU to turn on, so in theory you can ignore them.

Jim S

Dec 10, 2021, 10:53:20 AM12/10/21
to Arch Reactor
One CNC is a Yuasa unit with ball screws and 1.5 Hp belt drive spindle.  Looks like a high quality unit although a small xy travel - about 8 x 4 inches.  Servo motors on xyz.  Hardware looks stock and perhaps 1980's vintage.  Control has been replaced with Gecko drives.  Tag just has the brand name with no model.

The other is a hacked up Chinese X2 sold by HF, Grizzly, etc.  This one is labeled Cummins and seems to predate their later model so probably nearly as old all of them are pretty similar.  Someone added steppers and Gecko drives.  It's going to need quite a bit of work but still could be made into a usable machine.  I will try to get some pics up.

Both have R8 spindles so that's a big plus.

Jim S

Dec 10, 2021, 12:00:06 PM12/10/21
to Arch Reactor
I started to post these to Discord but had trouble posting pics...

The Cummins unit with counterweight for Z axis.

Cummins.jpg
The Yuasa unit and base.
Yuasa Column.jpgYuasa Table.jpg

Jim S

Dec 14, 2021, 11:56:36 AM12/14/21
to Arch Reactor
Doh...  Turns out I have the power supply in the pile of stuff after all and it boots up ok.  Just needs a replacement bios battery.