Dashcam Dash Cam Recommendations as of August 2014?

Kurtois

Aug 18, 2014, 9:58:47 PM8/18/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
There was a story early this year about a gentleman in Saint Louis, Dwayne Cooney, leaving his recorder on while it was taken in to be serviced at a local dealership. Well, the story garnered national attention. I can link you to the story, if you would like.

In any case, I attempted to contact Dwayne through Facebook and Twitter, and although he saw my messages, he did not respond. Perhaps he has some sort of injunction(?) to not speak about dash cams. However, I think if he was willing to help, he could have in some fashion.

Anyway, I recently viewed some footage online that was captured with a camera called the 'G1WH'. It, apparently, has firmware that enables it to do more and/or perform better. Think DD-WRT.

To the Arch Reactor Community - Is there a Dash Cam you use or is there one that you have been eyeing that is one you like?

Brad Tissi

Aug 21, 2014, 3:05:48 PM8/21/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I've never looked into one outside of a carputer pipe dream plan years ago. I'm not sure what good DD-WRT would do for a camera unless it had a WWAN card or something, but I'm always surprised by what people do with an open platform.
I'm not sure what to offer other than to see if any camera has license plate detection and/or face detection built in as I'm sure those would come in handy for recording triggers. I doubt that this will be of help, but iSpy has optional plug-ins for both, but it's meant to act as a home security software.

Please keep us updated if you come across some interesting developments.

Kurtois

Aug 25, 2014, 10:22:19 AM8/25/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I think I confused you. When I mentioned DD-WRT, I was just making an analogy. DD_WRT is not used with this dash cam.