11/12 Volunteers needed to pick up donated desks for the classroom

Gene J. (GeekTinker)

Nov 7, 2016, 1:45:16 AM11/7/16
to Arch Reactor

A member of Inventor Forge approached me about our interest in accepting the donation of several desks from his employer for our new classroom.

The Arch Reactor Board has graciously accepted.

We are slated to pick up 16 desks on the weekend of 11/12, so it could happen on either Saturday or Sunday, I'll need to follow up with the time and day tomorrow.

I'm hoping we will have the use of the box truck, but if not we will need members with pick-up trucks, SUVs, or vans to complete the transport.

The desks have 5' by 3' tops that are 1.5" thick and have tubular steel legs. Hopefully, they will break down into smaller pieces. There may be other items that are available as well.

Please leave a message here or message me directly if you may be able to help. The more volunteers we can get, the faster we will get finished.

Gene

Diane

Nov 7, 2016, 8:31:44 AM11/7/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I can almost certainly arrange to have the truck available.

Probably too late to ask, but I finally took a close look at the photo.  These appear to be double-wide tables with a divider down the center and don't seem to match what was described as our ideal classroom desk.  The price and quality are certainly right, though.   At the very least is it easy to remove that center divider?   Is the intent to have half of each class sit with their back to the presenter?  Or will everyone need to turn 90-degrees to their right/left?

Diane  <*>

Chris Weiss

Nov 7, 2016, 10:50:14 AM11/7/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
does the board have a plan on where to store these since we are nowhere near to having a classroom and will continue to have a significant lack of space unless people actually show up and build walls and storage shelves?

Diane

Nov 7, 2016, 11:05:17 AM11/7/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
This board member is deferring to our Sargent at Arms and Shopmaster on the issue of storage.

Have inquired re: truck availability this weekend.  It is available, though Game Chris would prefer to meet at the place and have the truck back once it's unloaded.   He's sending me his schedule of available dates/times.

Diane  <*>

On Nov 7, 2016, at 9:50 AM, Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:

does the board have a plan on where to store these since we are nowhere near to having a classroom and will continue to have a significant lack of space unless people actually show up and build walls and storage shelves?

Nathan Schrenk

Nathan Schrenk

Chris Weiss

Nov 7, 2016, 3:16:24 PM11/7/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I like that idea.  the partition i'm sure can be removed with some mechanical persuasion, and the gap filled with some wood.

Gene J. (GeekTinker)

Nov 7, 2016, 4:41:33 PM11/7/16
to Arch Reactor
Diane,

Thanks for the assurance that the truck will be available. I'll work out the details with you during the week.

http://store.hermanmiller.com/Products/Sense-Desk has more information.

The desks are considered "double sized". Normal size is 5'x 3', so doubling it adds another 3' of depth. The divider is removable.

If we want to set them up as one sided, we would need to cut a square channel and move the detachable legs which looks totally possible.

I think we can make it work either by using Chris' suggestion to use these desks in the current tech area and move the current desks into the classroom or by removing converting these new desks back into their "singular" form.

Nathan, thanks for the offer to store them. We may need to take you up on that offer. Do you mind leaving it up in the air until this weekend?

Gene

Nathan Schrenk

Nov 7, 2016, 5:01:29 PM11/7/16
to Arch Reactor
Gene,

I don't mind leaving it up in the air, but depending on when you do this over the weekend I may not be available. If you think you might take me up on the offer then we should probably meet up at my building before Saturday and I can provide you with a key and show you the storage unit where the tables could be stored.

Nathan

nfolken

Nov 7, 2016, 8:08:03 PM11/7/16
to Arch Reactor
I'm afraid I'll be out of town on work, but I like the idea of using them in the lab and putting the lab tables in the classroom. As for storage, I'm keen to take up Nathan on his generosity. We can probably make room for them at AR now, but we would have to move them around a lot as the buildout progresses.

Diane

Nov 7, 2016, 8:20:28 PM11/7/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
The truck is generally available until I manage to get it sold and there's not a huge push on that yet.

Diane  <*>

On Nov 7, 2016, at 7:08 PM, nfolken <niels...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm afraid I'll be out of town on work, but I like the idea of using them in the lab and putting the lab tables in the classroom. As for storage, I'm keen to take up Nathan on his generosity. We can probably make room for them at AR now, but we would have to move them around a lot as the buildout progresses.

geekti...@gmail.com

Nov 8, 2016, 2:41:50 AM11/8/16
to Arch Reactor
As a bonus, the donating company has hired movers who will help us to load them into the box truck, SUVs, pickups, and vans.
I am trying to schedule the pickup time to be as early as possible on Saturday without being too ridiculous. I'd like to be wrapping up by 3pm, with the option of completing the unloading on Saturday evening or Sunday morning if needed. Once I have a time nailed down, look for it to be posted here and on social media.

geekti...@gmail.com

Nov 8, 2016, 2:41:50 AM11/8/16
to Arch Reactor

Nathan Schrenk

Nov 10, 2016, 10:27:12 AM11/10/16
to Arch Reactor
Ping... if the desk moving crew wants the option of storing the desks in my building instead of at AR, I need to meet up beforehand with someone participating in the desk move to give you keys, show you the storage unit, and instruct you on how to operate the freight lift if you don't want to have to carry the desks down stairs. I am available almost any time on Friday 11/11 before 4:00pm to do this. You can email me directly at nat...@schrenk.org.

Nathan

Gene J. (GeekTinker)

Nov 10, 2016, 12:29:26 PM11/10/16
to Arch Reactor
Please Volunteer!

The move is currently scheduled for a start time of 1pm at AR and arriving at the pick up location by 2pm.

If anyone would rather meet at the pickup location, let me know and I,ll send the address. It will take about 20 minutes to drive there from AR.

Nathan,I have to work today and Friday, so I can't meet you for instructions and a key. Unless another volunteer can meet with you, we will just need to deal with them at AR.
(Moving them twice may be 50/50 with having them at AR during the build out).

If some volunteers want to meet us at AR only for the unloading, let me know and I'll message you when we are heading back.

Please volunteer below if you can help in any fashion. SUV's, trucks, and vans may help if it all won't fit in the box truck.

Diana, I'll be in touch about the use of the truck. Where is it currently located?

Gene

Jim S

Nov 10, 2016, 1:00:39 PM11/10/16
to Arch Reactor
I am planning to be at AR for the work day and can help with the move if needed.

Diane Sudduth

Nov 10, 2016, 3:47:22 PM11/10/16
to Arch Reactor
The truck is available and, depending on the address, will either meet you at AR or meet you at the pick-up location.    I need that address, please.    If we're storing the desks at Nathan's storage unit I'll need that address as well, please.

Chris Prysock needs to retain possession of the truck after unloading.   Additionally he's recently injured his back and is under medical orders not to lift/move things so he can't be counted on for anything more than driving and operating the lift gate.    Sorry.

I'm still finalizing my plans for Saturday as I have two previous engagements scheduled.   My late-afternoon plans are confirmed so I have a hard-stop at 3pm.    My earlier plans are still pending final confirmation.    Sorry guys, this is a BUSY time of year for me.   (My apologies to the build-crew tonight as well, as I have an engagement in West County from 6:30 to 9:30)

Gene J. (GeekTinker)

Nov 10, 2016, 6:59:25 PM11/10/16
to Arch Reactor
Update:
I am moving the start time at AR to 1:30 p.m. since it should only take us about 15 to 20 minutes to get to the donator's office in Clayton.

Myles Farrell

Nov 11, 2016, 5:46:14 PM11/11/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

We have really been trying to keep the classroom area clear so that we have somewhere to build the walls lying down and have space to move around. If we can't store them in Nathan ' s building can we please find a place to store them other than there?

On Nov 10, 2016 5:59 PM, "Gene J. (GeekTinker)" <gene....@gmail.com> wrote:
Update:
I am moving the start time at AR to 1:30 p.m. since it should only take us about 15 to 20 minutes to get to the donator's office in Clayton.

Chris Weiss

Nov 11, 2016, 6:02:01 PM11/11/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
the classroom is currently occupied with stacks of drywall and some tools from the storage import, so there's no room anyway

geekti...@gmail.com

Nov 13, 2016, 4:41:14 AM11/13/16
to Arch Reactor
Thanks to everyone who turned out today to help go pick up the donated desks and extras on Saturday. It was great to see so many people pitch in to help like that.

We picked up the items in the box truck and quickly returned to Arch Reactor for unloading. Once the truck was unloaded, we managed to move the previous desks from the Hacker Lab into the classroom. Then we assembled the new tables in the Hacker Lab. Over all, we have more space to work with on some very awesome tables.

We also picked up a couple of comfy and clean lounge chairs, two red metal stools (for the workshop), a trash can holder with a can in it (possibly for outside), and a bunch of metal file cabinets that can be used for storage in the shop and maybe other places throughout the space.

What were the center dividers on the desks are available for any interesting projects we can think of or maybe as storage shelves. They are large and sturdy and can be used for parts or as whole units.

There are also several wire shelves that originally went under some of the desks.

We also accepted the parts for several standing desks that can be used for interesting projects. They have Vesa mounts on them and are primarily made of aluminum extrusion and air struts. They are for parts only as they were disassembled before we arrived on site.

We still have 3 more desks that can be used around AR, but we may not have the space for them unless we shorten the width of them to one 5'x 3'desktop each and use the other 3 tops elsewhere as storage shelves or countertops. Or build our own legs for them.

I plan to return on Sunday afternoon to find better places to store many of these items along with discovering possible uses for some of them. By the time each of us left Saturday, we were all completely beat and exhausted.