Laser Cutter Usage Question

tra...@gmail.com

Jun 23, 2019, 11:26:34 AM6/23/19
to Arch Reactor
Hello all,

The laser cutter cannot be used to cut metal, but I was wondering if it can be used to remove paint from metal? I have seen projects where a laser cutter was used with a high movement speed to remove the paint from metal, enabling etching of the metal surface. (e.g. https://www.instructables.com/id/Negative-Laser-Metal-Etching/)

Does anyone know if this is feasible without damaging the equipment on any of the systems Arch has, and if so, how to set it up to do so?

The specific material I was considering was black paint on brass sheet. Laser removal of the paint would allow chemical aging of some parts of the sheet, followed by freshly cleared bright areas in other parts, in order to create depth in an image.

Thanks for your help!

Mike

Frank Kallal

Jun 23, 2019, 12:44:47 PM6/23/19
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I'm mobile so my answer won't be long however the quick answer is yes you can ask paint off of metals.

There is no special setup... paint your metal... put it in the laser... run laser over the metal

You may have to play with settings just a little bit but it shouldn't be very hard I remove paint from metal all the time in my laser...

for random information involving other metal options you could also laser anodizing off aluminum, powder coating off whatever metal is powder-coated, or you could use a spray like Cermark metals like stainless steel and brass.

Frank

travis...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2019, 2:33:22 PM6/24/19
to Arch Reactor
Mike,

Little off topic but what computer did you use to post this. It seems like it was posted using my google account and I don't know how that could have happened unless I forgot to log off somewhere.

Travis K

Message has been deleted

tra...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2019, 3:55:27 PM6/24/19
to Arch Reactor
Thanks for the quick response Frank! I haven't purchased the materials yet, but wanted to verify viability before investing in them. I'll let you know how it goes!

tra...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2019, 4:00:05 PM6/24/19
to Arch Reactor
Re account Travis, I think it is the cutting off on the name on the account. Both our accounts start with tra and are gmail addresses, so the first and last sections of the string are the same. Was posted from my home computer (:

Travis Kayser

Jun 24, 2019, 4:08:08 PM6/24/19
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I agree with you. I get a little paranoid about my internet security.

Thanks
Travis

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 3:00 PM <tra...@gmail.com> wrote:
Re account Travis, I think it is the cutting off on the name on the account. Both our accounts start with tra and are gmail addresses, so the first and last sections of the string are the same. Was posted from my home computer (:

tra...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2019, 5:24:05 PM6/24/19
to Arch Reactor
Haha, no worries! Glad that it was something innocuous! And concern about cybersecurity is reasonable in this day and age.