KiCon 2019 - April 26 and 27th in Chicago IL

Chris Gammell

Mar 26, 2019, 1:26:39 PM3/26/19
to Arch Reactor
We're having the first ever user focused conference for KiCad this April 26th and 27th called KiCon 2019

While there is no one correct choice of CAD tool among the many options available, I love promoting open source eCAD tools like KiCad, which has helped me design electronics both personally and professionally. KiCad is great option for hackerspaces because of the amount of features and the low barrier to entry for new users. If any of your hackerspace members are current or potential users, this is a good opportunity to expand their skills with KiCad.

KiCon will feature talks on a wide range of topics, including:
  • Component modeling using open source (3D) CAD tools
  • Combining revision control with manufacturing
  • Microwave design
  • Making CAD tools more extensible with Python scripting
  • and many more
We'll also have workshops for beginners and have panels with industry experts talking about best practices. Many of the developers will attend and there will be sessions for how new developers can get involved in improving this already pretty fantastic tool.

I hope you'll join us in celebrating open source tools in making electronics. If there's any other info you need or if you know of other ways we can spread the word of more accessible electronics design tools, please let me know.

~Chris

Hroller McKnutt

Mar 26, 2019, 3:03:14 PM3/26/19
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Is Dave coming? ;)

Nullo edactore ligni, consilium cedet. - Countess Magda

Chris Gammell

Mar 26, 2019, 3:40:34 PM3/26/19
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Sadly, no. Though he's been using KiCad more in videos lately! (reference)

I'm just as excited to hang out with Greg Davill ( https://twitter.com/gregdavill ) who WILL be coming from Australia. If you haven't seen his feed, check out his designs and macro photography. Both are excellent.

Hope to see some of you there!

Robert Kleeschulte

Mar 26, 2019, 4:34:51 PM3/26/19
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I have used the program before but never produced anything from it. last time was back in 2010 maybe. Eagle was limited on the size board I needed and then eventually just gave up on the project.