NEW, $259 Reach 3D Printer on Kickstarter

na...@reach3dprinters.com

Jan 23, 2016, 7:24:54 PM1/23/16
to Arch Reactor
Hi Guys,
Nate Rogers Here, I was inspired to build an inexpensive 3d printer to market to Makers and Students. Versatile enough for Laser Cutting, Engraving, Pen Plotting, Light Milling...

I met with Doug and Scott, and they are AWESOME, giving me a tour of Griffin 3D Printers, opening my eyes to the challenges of production. I Revamped my design so many times, after leaning what it would take to make my printer a success.
Thank you Doug and Scott, you guys are great innovators and generous with your knowledge.

Well, I wanted to ask the group if they had any suggestions on improving my Kickstarter campaign.

I plan to redo the video, focusing on what my printer offers, compared to whats available. I also have to add a 360 gif rotation of the printer, some laser etching footage, and more prototyping steps, showing specifics of those differences.

Kickstarter Link:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2121749597/1101209748?token=24bffbcb

Thanks everyone for your time to give me input. Its very much appreciated.
Nate
www.reach3dprinters.com

Message has been deleted

EschewObfuscation

Jan 24, 2016, 8:19:29 PM1/24/16
to Arch Reactor, na...@reach3dprinters.com
Okay, so that's an outgrowth of your fusion project?

Keith Rogers

Jan 24, 2016, 9:29:38 PM1/24/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
He had to change the name due to a cease and desist letter from these folks.  I kind of like the new name better given the cantilever design.

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 7:19 PM, EschewObfuscation <google...@mailfilter.33mail.com> wrote:
Okay, so that's an outgrowth of your fusion project?

Kevin W

Jan 25, 2016, 4:11:03 PM1/25/16
to Arch Reactor, na...@reach3dprinters.com
I think I may have found a replacement for my temperamental Kossel Clear. =)  Can't wait for the email from kickstarter for when the project goes live.

As for input, I'd like more detail about:

A) Those detailed print examples - were they done with the base kit, and which material?  It looks like there's no heatbed involved, so are those all PLA or did it really do ABS that well on just the painter's tape?

B) A guesstimate on what it would cost for parts for the laser add-on =)

C) Is it really just Windows based?  Saw another project recently, octoprint, which paired with this would make it even more epic =)

Thanks!

Chris Weiss

Jan 25, 2016, 4:47:10 PM1/25/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com, na...@reach3dprinters.com
Since it's Arduino/Ramps 1.4 based, anything that works with that should work, with proper tuning/tweaking.  I'm not really sure why mac support is listed as such, I've found little to no difference in Cura for windows/mac/linux.

Kevin W

Jan 25, 2016, 5:11:54 PM1/25/16
to Arch Reactor, na...@reach3dprinters.com
That's what  was hoping especially since octoprint works with Cura :)

na...@reach3dprinters.com

Feb 16, 2016, 9:55:07 PM2/16/16
On Sunday, January 24, 2016 at 7:19:29 PM UTC-6, EschewObfuscation wrote:
> Okay, so that's an outgrowth of your fusion project?

Sorry for the delayed response... Crazy busy...
Yeah, I wanted to keep the design strong, but as affordable and simple as possible. Changing to a cantilever design saved $60 in parts cost alone and doesn't seem to change the print results.
Also, Im about to launch this weekend, just setting up my strategy for advertising on media sites, forums, etc...
New Kickstarter video is way cooler too. Also added a few other videos :)
Nate

na...@reach3dprinters.com

Feb 16, 2016, 10:00:25 PM2/16/16
On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 3:47:10 PM UTC-6, ||cw wrote:
> Since it's Arduino/Ramps 1.4 based, anything that works with that should work, with proper tuning/tweaking.  I'm not really sure why mac support is listed as such, I've found little to no difference in Cura for windows/mac/linux.

Based on your information, i decided to address the software in my Kickstarter. I feel there shouldn't be an issue with mac, but had a customer mention having difficulty. So i decided to suggest a workaround using LCD SD card reader, or virtual windows. The customer mentioned that genuine Italian arduino boards use a USB converter, where the Chinese knockoffs use Serial to USB. Im not familiar enough with these protocols to be able to answer these questions :( Im all ears for your take on his situation.
Also, Id like to identify if Linux is good to.
Thank you for any insight you have to offer, this should be an awesome kickstarter. Also, New video is up and new information to address a few more questions.
Nate

na...@reach3dprinters.com

Feb 16, 2016, 10:17:12 PM2/16/16
to Arch Reactor, na...@reach3dprinters.com
Good Quesitons...
Yeah, they are all PLA. I dont think I used a heated bed, but PLA at 205 doesnt really warp on painters tape. Very little lift, and some frog pads on the corners solves that, thanks to my brothers suggestions.
I also had a guy recommend using Sticky pads, used for mounting photos for picture frames. Like $6 at hobby lobby for 3 large sheets. 20-50 uses. He indicated that he prints ABS and Nylon at 250 with no heated bed and doesnt have any issues.
Something i gotta try.
As for the upgrade kit, if you just want the LCD/sd reader, the screen model is 12864 LCD. Its really common and only cost about $10 shipped from china in 2 weeks. My pre loaded firmware will already support it, but if you want to add one to a different printer, you have to install the u8glib zip in the arduino marlin files. Then un-comment the line to activate the Full Graphics LCD screen in the firmware and upload.
The Reach will have this done, and the firmware already uploaded to the arduinos. :)

Ahh, the Laser Cutter. Yeah, for a 500mw laser, your looking at about $40 on aliexpress. I used a 405-450nm laser module. I WOULD RECOMMEND GETTING THE 12V with a good sized, external driver board. The video in my kickstarter uses a 2.8w laser module. These run about $80-$120, Depending on the wavelength. Of course, ALWAYS wear eye protection.
A great source for Laser Viewing Portal Shields is in Texas at Jtech Photonics. Its like $20 shipped for a 12"x12" shield. OBD4. The cheap laser goggles from china may not be to spec. they seem pretty light to me. Typically the darker the better. :) a nice pair of goggles will cost $25 to $60. Reflections from the aluminum frame can be dangerous, you only get 1 set of eyeballs... zap... faster than you can blink, so be carefull and build a full enclosure to be safe. Just cardboard would help. Also, keep in mind animals and children, like bugs, they are drawn to a pretty glowing light. :(
As for windows, ive only tested but will have more information soon.
Check out the kickstarter draft for a new video and updates.
Later
Nate

Nate Rogers Reach 3d Printers

Feb 23, 2016, 4:02:46 AM2/23/16
to Arch Reactor
Hey Guys,

I think my campaign is ready. I made a lot of changes and am shooting for a more attainable goal.
I plan to Launch tomorrow at Noon. Wish me Luck.

Hopefully Ill be able to make it up to the 3D meetup on Friday, and demo the printer and the mill. The laser is a bit dangerous for a group, but The mill should be safe!!!

Thanks
Nate

Nate Rogers

Feb 24, 2016, 2:29:08 PM2/24/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
We are GO for LAUNCH!!!
2-25-16 at 12:00pm CST!

Nate Rogers Reach 3d Printers

Feb 25, 2016, 8:06:56 AM2/25/16
to Arch Reactor, na...@reach3dprinters.com
Hey Kevin,
I wanted to make sure you knew we were good for launch. Not certain if my emails got through on the forum.
So 12 noon today.
Hope to catch ya soon.
Nate

Kevin W

Feb 25, 2016, 1:14:20 PM2/25/16
to Arch Reactor, na...@reach3dprinters.com
I got the kickstarter email and backed it already.  Thanks for the update though =)

Kevin W

Feb 25, 2016, 1:15:38 PM2/25/16
to Arch Reactor, na...@reach3dprinters.com
I'd be happy to test from Linux or Mac as well and give feedback once I've got it assembled.

Frank Kallal

Feb 25, 2016, 1:25:11 PM2/25/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com, na...@reach3dprinters.com
link to project?

Travis Megee

Feb 25, 2016, 1:26:33 PM2/25/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Nate Rogers Reach 3d Printers

Feb 25, 2016, 8:07:20 PM2/25/16
to Arch Reactor
Hey Arch Reactor...
Thank you guys for the support. The Campaign is looking great so far...
I was considering heading up there tomorrow, and bringing 1 or 2 of the printers, to demo the milling and the printing.
If there is enough interest, 4-5 people, Id make the 4-5 hour trip.
Thanks,
Nate

Bob S.

Feb 26, 2016, 10:22:49 AM2/26/16
to Arch Reactor
Tonight is the 3D printer meetup (monthly meetup meeting) so there should be people very interested in 3D printers there tonight...

Robert Kleeschulte

Feb 26, 2016, 5:42:08 PM2/26/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I got them when I had to make nylon levelers smaller. Work paid for them and I don't have a lathe at home.

Robert Kleeschulte

Feb 26, 2016, 5:43:58 PM2/26/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Sorry drop that in wrong thread. GG gmail

Nate Rogers Reach 3d Printers

Feb 26, 2016, 9:03:28 PM2/26/16
to Arch Reactor
Hey BOB,
Looks like i couldn't make it. The campaign is going really well. Sooo much to do to keep up with the influx of messages.
Wish i could be there with you guys. I got so much information from Doug and Scott, those guys are amazing.
Catch ya next month!!!
Nate