Pixy robots for a display

Apollo Timbers

Sep 3, 2014, 2:39:35 PM9/3/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Hello all,

I'm relatively new to the archreactor group. I have been to a few 3D printer meet ups and a business meeting. Though I have enjoyed the time at the space and meeting new people. I would like to start by introducing myself to the group. My name is a Apollo Timbers I have a strong background in electronics and robotics. My previous job was working on intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) guidance systems and support systems in the Air Force. I have a website that I keep up documenting my older and current projects. www.secondrobotics.com

I have seen a need/desire for a awesome tabletop demonstration for examples of some of the projects that the hacker space makes. So I would like to submit the idea of having mini pixy robots. There would be about three mini robots created that chase and pick up color balls. This would be a interactive display as anyone can reach in a throw a ball around for them to chase or play keep away from the robots. They can also chase around each other. Below is a few images of the concept and I also already have a rough parts list.
  • A rough unit price per robot is around 180 dollars.
  • The display can be made with scrap materials and would cost sub 20-30 dollars
  • There are also higher detailed robot pictures attached.
Let me know what you guys think. I plan on fleshing out the details and submitting for a Awesome Grant. (If anyone can point me to the forum that would be great) Was in a bit of a rush so I snapped quick pictures of sketch-up I will be attaching the file later.

small pixy.jpg
small pixy2.jpg

Chris Weiss

Sep 3, 2014, 3:40:57 PM9/3/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
good news is, you found the forum!

these look awesome.  I've done some color following with my pixy and bot, but it's all been following a person, which is really lighting sensitive.  having it follow a ball on a top down lit table top would be so much easier.

Ryan/baslisks

Sep 3, 2014, 4:02:01 PM9/3/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I know Trossen robotics had a demo that did this at the last KC makerfaire I went to. Was pretty neat.

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 2:40 PM, Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
good news is, you found the forum!

these look awesome.  I've done some color following with my pixy and bot, but it's all been following a person, which is really lighting sensitive.  having it follow a ball on a top down lit table top would be so much easier.

Travis Megee

Sep 3, 2014, 4:29:34 PM9/3/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Apollo Timbers

Sep 3, 2014, 10:30:07 PM9/3/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Thanks I thought long about the design. I really want to make it simple yet a open looking robot. This would I hope help others see that building robots does not have to be complicated. I have filled out the grant proposal and will be submitting it soon. I'm a tad worried though I would like to become a member first if not just a supporting member before I do though I'm not sure how much weight that has on the decision to fund projects. Though being new to the group I did see they would like us to up front cost so it is less risky. I understand this completely and it is a good precaution. A few more details of the design include a shield on the Arduino (not shown) that contains headers for hooking up the servos and sensors. I also plan on adding a five LED's for use as a battery level indicator. This would consist of two green, 2 yellow and one red LED.

Bob S.

Sep 4, 2014, 2:47:49 PM9/4/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I like the idea.  I have a pixy that I have not really played with yet...   I would be interested in putting one together.  Might be fun if we were to get to the point of making it a competition..... just a thought... :)  (In addition to demo mode for displays!!)

-Bob

Apollo Timbers

Sep 4, 2014, 3:02:38 PM9/4/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I think the robot hardware/look should be as close to the same as we can. Though I do like the competition aspect of it. A game with these should not be to far of a stretch for the robots in there current form. Mainly having a (may the best coder win battle) or something similar. This is of course is where I will lose to a crack programmer *sob* or a team, but it will be a glorious battle none the less.

Now get out you pixy, blow off the dust and make a base already :), don't you want a head start on the program battle?

Apollo

Chris Weiss

Sep 5, 2014, 3:33:28 PM9/5/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Apollo Timbers

Sep 5, 2014, 4:25:45 PM9/5/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Nice find!

I was looking around the interwebs last night for pixy code and also came across this little guy. The pan tilt head is nice but I was looking to keep the robot simple. I also hope my design has a bit better battery life and voltage then four double AA's. I will most likely use code from this to have a good starting point though.

There is a bit of work still to add randomness to the code, obstacle avoidance with the IR sensors, and finding other robots/goals. Not to mention the code to handle gripping the objects. Splitting up some of these task for some others to have a crack at may reveal some very cool code.

Apollo

On Friday, September 5, 2014 2:33:28 PM UTC-5, ||cw wrote:
relevent https://learn.adafruit.com/pixy-pet-robot-color-vision-follower-using-pixycam

Chris Weiss

Sep 5, 2014, 4:32:52 PM9/5/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
pixy's facebook page just shared that today. I imaging 4AAs will
drain pretty fast with a pixy. I'm using an 8AA with my bot, and with
cheap AA alkalines it's not much life before it starts acting odd.
some higher mAh rechargeable would probably work better.

Apollo Timbers

Sep 15, 2014, 8:28:01 PM9/15/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

Bob was nice enough to let me borrow his Pixy and I got it working on a pan tilt. Below is the silly video I made of it. In its current state it is having the Arduino calculate the servo output values.

Hope you guys enjoy the video.

Cheers,

Apollo

Bob S.

Sep 16, 2014, 3:29:11 PM9/16/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Nice!!
  Glad it works! :)

-Bob

Keith Rogers

Sep 16, 2014, 3:44:18 PM9/16/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Haha, cool!
Message has been deleted

Apollo Timbers

Nov 2, 2014, 12:03:34 PM11/2/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Hello all,

I'm in need of a few items to help complete the project. Below is a list of items.

  1. 1k resistors 1/4 watt carbons are fine
  2. 2 inch/50 mm brightly colored plastic balls. (I have had difficulty finding some for this project)  colors in blue, yellow, red, purple, green, orange
  3. Plastic sheets for the bases around 3 mm thick (They need to be white as not to attract the Pixys attention)
  4. Plywood  a little over 1/4 inch thick that it about 3 foot by 4 foot
 If anyone can bring or knows how to easily obtain any of the above items please let me know.

Thanks,

Apollo Timbers

Chris Weiss

Nov 2, 2014, 4:17:04 PM11/2/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I think I have some plywood that would work, and probably have some resistors
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/arch-reactor/86657877-3183-4b5f-8daf-05b2dd1fedf3%40googlegroups.com.

Michael Kuba

Nov 2, 2014, 5:40:18 PM11/2/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
In my box in the space (labeled The Kubas) I should have some assorted resistors you are welcome to. At least, I think that's where they are...

There should be plywood in the shop, though it might be hard to find that size.

Tom Blevins

Nov 2, 2014, 10:19:54 PM11/2/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

I don't know if these will exceed your weight but Hi bounce balls can be bought at party stores at close to you diameter here's a link to some that might work:
http://www.partycity.com/product/neon+bounce+balls+6ct.do?from=Search&navSet=hi%20bounce&bypass_redirect=1

Party City has local stores.

-Tom