Laclede's LAN! Kickstarter to develop LAN community and build the St. Louis tech space!

Adam Kruger

Jul 29, 2014, 11:04:23 PM7/29/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Hello Eveyone!

My name is Adam and I was referred to Arch Reactor by Gene Jordan via Facebook. My friends and I run Laclede's LAN and are Kickstarting the community for a LAN party on Jan 3, 2015.

We hope to start a strong non-profit presence in St. Louis that connects the enthusiasm of tech-savvy gamers, programmers, and network developers to build educational opportunities for young kids interested in computers, coding, and the world of gaming. We even taught a 4 hour class about computers and technology at SLU to fifty 6-8 grade students and actually had them programming on Raspberry Pis! It was a great opportunity to build a valuable relationship with SLU.

I understand this is a large community that has developed around some of these same values, so any feedback, support, or interest in providing input on how we can best serve the community would be fantastic!

Feel free to contact me on here or on our forums at Lacledeslan.com/forums

Thank you!

Brad Tissi

Jul 30, 2014, 8:52:02 AM7/30/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Welcome! I can see a lot of similarities in the goals. Hopefully something bigger than both can come out of this.

Ryan/baslisks

Jul 30, 2014, 4:47:34 PM7/30/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, but no dota.

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 8:52 AM, Brad Tissi <bti...@gmail.com> wrote:
Welcome! I can see a lot of similarities in the goals. Hopefully something bigger than both can come out of this.

Adam Kruger

Jul 30, 2014, 6:57:09 PM7/30/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

I agree that there are some serious overlaps in focus areas, so I think great things could grow from our efforts alongside Arch Reactor!

Regarding DOTA, we really wish that we didn't have to make a choice between it and League of Legends; we aren't having a official tournament in DOTA2 but that certainly doesn't mean we won't support it at the event, and it also doesn't mean we won't have a DOTA2 tournament in the future. We'll be offering a matchmaking service which will provide dedicated servers for games requested on our forums, and will help manually set up DOTA matches without players having to walk around and find each other. If your game didn't make the tournament list this time, we still encourage you to come to the LAN and invite your friends that play DOTA. Let us know about your game requests on our forums, and we'll take care of the rest!

Thank you for your interest and support!

EschewObfuscation

Jul 31, 2014, 8:44:55 AM7/31/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Isn't the dota "community" reputed to be rather hostile, clannish and arrogant, pretty much the opposite of what AR tries to be? So, little loss if that's not one of the first choices, seems to me.

Gene J. (GeekTinker)

Aug 1, 2014, 9:35:41 AM8/1/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
The community and collaboration is what matters most, not which games are chosen to be played at events and which ones are left out.
As a side note, what little I have seen of Dota didn't seem to fall into anything like the above description. It's a team effort game and very competitive, but I've seen fans and teams get more rowdy over chess tournaments.