Android and USB Hub + USB Apple Keyboard w/USB Ports

Kurtois

Jan 28, 2014, 11:42:28 PM1/28/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I am just trying to understand the issue I am running into with my first Android device.

I have an Azpen A700 (yes, the $40 Micro Center Android Tablet) which has USB OTG support. Here is a diagram of my connections:

Diagram:
Android Tablet > USB OTG Cable > USB Hub > Apple USB Keyboard w/ 2 ports + USB Mouse

When I do the following, the Android tablet recognizes the keyboard and mouse in tandem, i.e. they both function at the same time:

Android Tablet > USB OTG Cable > Apple USB Keyboard w/ 2 ports + USB Mouse

Is anyone familiar the USB OTG that might have some insight as to what is going on?

Kamikaze Joe

Jan 29, 2014, 12:13:53 AM1/29/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I'm not understanding your issue.  What's not working?  What are you trying to do?

---

Preserve your right to privacy.  When replying to this email, I encourage you to make use of PGP compliant encryption.  My key ID is A50DB9BC.

Kurtois

Jan 29, 2014, 9:14:22 AM1/29/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I apologize. Let me try again.

======
Figure #1:
Android Tablet > USB OTG Cable > USB Hub > Apple USB Keyboard w/ 2 ports + USB Mouse

Either keyboard works or the mouse works. Not both. Seems dependent on which is plugged in first.

Figure #2
Android Tablet > USB OTG Cable > Apple USB Keyboard w/ 2 ports + USB Mouse

Both keyboard and mouse work. Note that the USB Mouse is plugged into one of the physical ports that makes up the Apple USB Keyboard.
======

Problem:
Why does Figure #1's configuration not work? Is it because there are two USB Hosts involved?

Let me know if I can clarify further. Sorry again for the initial confusing post.

Kurt

Chris Weiss

Jan 29, 2014, 10:20:56 AM1/29/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
is the hub separately powered or bus powered? if not separately, that
may be drawing too much power to run 2 hubs and 2 devices.
Message has been deleted

Kurtois

Jan 30, 2014, 7:26:36 PM1/30/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for lacking this detail about the USB Hub in my initial notes.

The USB Hub in Figure 1 (described in previous message) is a Belkin F5U237 7-Port Hub. The documentation indicates that the per port voltage is 5V, 500mA (max).

Link the the documentation, for those interested:

In any case, I am just pleased that I can use this $40 tablet almost like a full fledged machine with full-sized keyboard and mouse.

Thank you for the input.