Wood shop training?

Jonathan H

Mar 30, 2021, 12:06:14 PM3/30/21
to Arch Reactor
I'm a new Supporting member who's very interested in using some of the woodworking tools, especially the table saw, band saw, planer and jointer. I already understand the basics of how all of them work, but if I understand correctly, I still need to be certified (or whatever the group calls it) to use them. What would be the best way to make that happen? Is any training scheduled?

If no formal training is scheduled, is an ad hoc training session possible and allowable? For example, a couple of Sundays ago, Alex graciously gave me an unscheduled but thorough training session on the South Bend metal lathe. If anyone is willing and able to do something similar for the wood shop tools - again, if that's allowed - I'd be very grateful. I work at SLU and live less than 10 minutes from the space, so I could be available almost any evening. Thanks!

PR Director

Apr 1, 2021, 7:58:12 PM4/1/21
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Hey Jonathan!

Welcome!  So please join us next Tuesday for our member meeting (held every 1st Tuesday of the month) at 8pm as we should be doing the schedule for training and this is the perfect time and place to make sure you connect on any newbie questions.

Also - you can join us on Discord if you want to have conversations with other members:  https://discord.gg/jR4BfUny

https://meet.jit.si/AR_Tuesday

Thank you,
Kim Stahl
Director of Public Relations

Arch Reactor Hackerspace/Makerspace
2215 Scott Ave.
St. Louis, MO 63103
Follow us on Social Media:
Instagram: @archreactorstl
Twitter: @archreactorstl

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 11:06 AM Jonathan H <jbh...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm a new Supporting member who's very interested in using some of the woodworking tools, especially the table saw, band saw, planer and jointer. I already understand the basics of how all of them work, but if I understand correctly, I still need to be certified (or whatever the group calls it) to use them. What would be the best way to make that happen? Is any training scheduled?

If no formal training is scheduled, is an ad hoc training session possible and allowable? For example, a couple of Sundays ago, Alex graciously gave me an unscheduled but thorough training session on the South Bend metal lathe. If anyone is willing and able to do something similar for the wood shop tools - again, if that's allowed - I'd be very grateful. I work at SLU and live less than 10 minutes from the space, so I could be available almost any evening. Thanks!

Jonathan H

Apr 1, 2021, 8:45:53 PM4/1/21
to Arch Reactor
Kim, thanks for the reply. I'll be sure to come to the meeting. It's virtual only, right?

FWIW, I posted on this Google group because I have much less experience with Discord and I saw a fair number of messages on this board. Now that I've realized Discord isn't hard to use, I'll probably use it more often.

PR Director

Apr 2, 2021, 3:19:48 AM4/2/21
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Jonathan,

It is virtual for now. Although Tuesday nights are technically nights we are open for supporting members to come in and work, so you could probably take your computer and join in from there.  I'm not entirely sure who plans on opening up the space just yet - as of right now no one is listed but I'm sure that will change.  The discord invite is purely optional - it's just proven to be somewhat more popular than slack and has better features for those who do use it already.  Important communication usually comes out in Email and facebook group posting and then maybe the other channels.

hope that helps some!