Leap Motion Controller for Show and Tell on Tuesday

Gene J. (GeekTinker)

Jul 22, 2013, 2:01:02 AM7/22/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I have received the much anticipated Leap Motion Controller. Unfortunately, the software and online application store for it won't officially launch until somebody on Monday.  (I was hoping for an unannounced launch at midnight, but nothing has showed up so far.

Regardless, I plan on bringing the Leap Motion Controller on Tuesday night for Show and Tell. I likely won't have much to show or tell since I'll be working on Monday and Tuesday, but I hope to get enough experience with it on Monday night to at least present a few minutes worth and have it available for others to try out with my laptop.

If you aren't aware of what the Leap Motion Controller can do, check out the website: www.leapmotion.com, www.leapmotion.com/product, www.leapmotion.com/apps

This video was created in March of 2013: http://youtu.be/TMqBLqzsZZU

My hope is that the open source community will take this controller and run with it, creating many free apps for it to interact with multiple devices. For one, I'd like to see if it can be used as a miniature 3D scanner for smaller items in the same way the Kinect has been used to scan 3D images.

After reading up on it, what are some ways you would like to see this used? What sort of applications could you see this being used for?

Look for it to come built into laptops and tablets in the future.

Gene

Tony Mueller

Jul 22, 2013, 9:29:21 AM7/22/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I got mine in the mail Saturday... so let down when I saw the software wouldn't be available until today. I won't have time to play with it at all for a couple more days.

Chris Weiss

Jul 22, 2013, 9:57:00 AM7/22/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Sparkfun did a teardown
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/leap-motion-teardown
I'm curious about the resolution. doesn't seem very high.
it's also very limited range. 3D viewer object manipulation might be
a practical use for it, like actually grab a rendering and spin it the
way you want it to go.

Chris Weiss

Sep 6, 2013, 2:15:51 PM9/6/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Elon Musk is using Leaps at SpaceX in all the most badass ways
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/05/elon-musk-iron-man_n_3876260.html

Derek Sigler

Sep 6, 2013, 2:26:03 PM9/6/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I'm even more impressed by the 3-D printing with metal.