Anyone have a different method?

Vince Laurent

Aug 23, 2021, 10:34:38 AM8/23/21
to Arch Reactor
I am trying to do something like this but don't have access to 360:

My google-foo is off this Monday morning so if anyone has a different source/tool I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Vince

Chris Weiss

Aug 23, 2021, 4:34:39 PM8/23/21
to Arch Reactor

isn't fusion 360 free?

Arch Reactor, Sergeant At Arms

Aug 23, 2021, 5:28:42 PM8/23/21
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Fusion 360 is free, but maybe difficult for this project.

You could hand-draw the topographical lines from above and then scan the sketch into a digital image which could be uploaded into the laser cutter and cut line by line.

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 3:34 PM Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:

isn't fusion 360 free?

Vince Laurent

Aug 23, 2021, 10:10:55 PM8/23/21
to Arch Reactor
I saw $495/year  on https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/overview   Am I overlooking something?

Vince Laurent

Aug 23, 2021, 10:15:14 PM8/23/21
to Arch Reactor
OK.. free to hobby folks.  Just downloaded.  Will see how this goes.

Vince Laurent

Aug 23, 2021, 10:39:37 PM8/23/21
to Arch Reactor
Thanks for the replies.  I'll let you know what I end up doing.

Ray Scheufler

Aug 25, 2021, 1:00:36 PM8/25/21
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
What exactly are you trying to do?  Are you trying to get a 3d model from elevation data?  Are you trying to laser cut layers to make a topographic map?  What is your source data format?

Last year I took elevation data from the state of Iowa in geotiff format and made a 3d model to be 3d printed.  Geotiff data is an image that has geospatial information associated with it.  I used QGis to load and find the area of interested and crop out the area I wanted to use.  Then I used "3D Builder" from microsoft to turn the greyscale image into a 3d model using the intensity of each pixel as the height.

If you are trying to laser cut layers, I think there are a few programs that can take a 3d STL and slice it into layers for a laser cutter.  You could also probably use inkscape's ability to trace an image and use different intensities for the different elevations.

Just some food for thought.  I might be able to dig up more notes on my exact process if you wanted to try and do something similar to what I had done.

Ray Scheufler