Materials for a yoga mirror (light weight, portable, break-proof).

jason...@gmail.com

Dec 14, 2017, 8:50:18 PM12/14/17
to Arch Reactor
I am trying to make some big mirrors for a friend in a apartment. So nothing heavy on the walls and no glass that can break.

I am seeing on the interwebs :) there is some vinyl mirror squares for sale. I am hoping to pick these up at lease 12" x 12" or larger (or even a roll or long strip I that would cover the whole board). I am wanting to adhere them to some foam presentation board 5'-6' x 2'-3'. I can then use velcro as hinges to chain the foam board together for a total of 5'-6' high by about 15'-18' wide. The panels will be able to swivel on the velcro hinge so they can stand on their own.

My issue is that I cannot find the vinyl mirror squares not the presentation board large enough to suit my needs.

Any ideas on where I can pick these items up I would appreciate it. I have checked wal-mart, lowes, home depot, michaels and one other I can't remember.

Also, any other ideas using different material works for me too. I am hoping to make this as a christmas present to time is counting down for me.

William Andersen

Dec 14, 2017, 10:30:04 PM12/14/17
to Arch Reactor
One thought? Try McMaster-Carr.

You will pay more, but they have almost everything under the sun, and they can deliver *fast*.

Travis Megee

Dec 14, 2017, 10:35:48 PM12/14/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Travis

EschewObfuscation

Dec 15, 2017, 9:36:04 AM12/15/17
to Arch Reactor
You might consider aluminized mylar stretched taut over a light frame. No landlord can possibly object to that, and the image quality *might* be good enough for that application?

Myles Farrell

Dec 15, 2017, 10:28:26 AM12/15/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
When you say presentation board do you mean like you sometimes used in school to make models? Foam core with card stock on both sides; about 1/8th inch thick? My first thought for that would be Office Depot.

eAddict

Dec 15, 2017, 12:09:35 PM12/15/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I bought custom sized mirrored plexi glass from some company in Ohio that was not too expensive.   I doubt you could get them by Christmas though.
Let me know if you need me to dig through my docs and purchase records.

Chris Hemmerly

Dec 19, 2017, 8:31:28 AM12/19/17
to Arch Reactor
Plexiglass is going to be heavy -- even very thin ones.

My thought was, what about using mirrorized contact paper, and applying it to sheets of foam core? Both components of that idea should be cheap enough to try such that it won't break the bank if it doesn't work out..

-Chris