slow blow or fast blow

Daniel Mallett

Feb 21, 2013, 1:15:42 PM2/21/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I'm building a reprap, as I've mentioned before. my power suply came with no fuse and though I know I need a 250v/10A fuse, I don't know wither I should go with a slow blow or fast blow. My thought is fast blow would probably be better as should a short occur it would protect my equipment faster. Thanks to anyone for there input.

Ryan/baslisks

Feb 21, 2013, 1:23:38 PM2/21/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
why aren't you using a psu?

Travis Megee

Feb 21, 2013, 1:25:12 PM2/21/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Fast blow.

Travis

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 12:23 PM, Ryan/baslisks <basl...@gmail.com> wrote:
why aren't you using a psu?

EschewObfuscation

Feb 21, 2013, 4:21:29 PM2/21/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Use slow blow when your design has high inrush current under normal operating conditions, eg a power supply that charges up large ripple caps, etc.

Use fast blow under all other conditions.

Daniel Mallett

Feb 21, 2013, 6:34:01 PM2/21/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
thank you all, that's kinda what I thought, but wanted outside help before I make any final decisions.

I'm using a power supply that supplies 24v at 15A (rather than 12v @ 30A) so that way my I can use parts that draw less current at higher voltages so I can use the lighter gadge wire and get better micro-stepping from my stepper motors.

I had origonaly planed to use an ATX supply but it only put out 10A at 12v and I was concerned that wouldn't be enough.

Maybe I'm kinda reinventing the wheel, but I seldom chose the 'normal' way to do anything. LOL

Thank you all again.
Daniel