Looking to getting a corner made

Vince Laurent

Mar 23, 2021, 3:37:31 PM3/23/21
to Arch Reactor
We just had tile work done and am trying to figure out how to cover the corner.
I bought a piece of aluminum from a big box store and put in on the corner

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xJGCX1tdpGp71kdT8

Apparently it was almost right.  Can someone make a thinner corner piece?
It would need to be 12.5" long with the sides being 1/2"
I am hoping for maybe twice the thickness of a soda can?

I could do it but I don't have the sheet metal or a bending tool.  Does anyone have a source for the metal?  Does AR have a bending tool?  I would prefer a total bend at once vs doing it with a vise-gripe type of bender.

Thanks!
Vince

Director Of Public Relations

Mar 23, 2021, 4:20:14 PM3/23/21
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I’m a little busy right now so I wouldn’t be able to help for a bit, but to answer the question, we have a bender, but I’m not sure how long it is exactly, from memory, I think you’d be okay to do a 12.5” bend…as for the aluminum sheet that’s thin —— try shapiro’s website first and then call…and if no one else can help you better I could probably help later but it’d be mid - April.

eAddict

Mar 23, 2021, 4:30:55 PM3/23/21
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
They have something I could use but it comes in a group of 4 and are 90" long...

Wonder if I can get them to sell me 13" of one.
Thanks for the info/idea!

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Arch Reactor" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/arch-reactor/9695A3A7-2D02-4FB0-B231-AA2275E49C54%40archreactor.org.

eAddict

Mar 23, 2021, 4:41:02 PM3/23/21
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
We are in no hurry.  I can use a bender.... now to find a sheet of AL that is 12.5" long and 1" wide and very thin (ie 1/32" or there abouts).
Shapiro sells it in 2x4 sheets.  WAY too much for me.

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 3:20 PM Director Of Public Relations <directorofpu...@archreactor.org> wrote:
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Arch Reactor" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/arch-reactor/9695A3A7-2D02-4FB0-B231-AA2275E49C54%40archreactor.org.

Amberly Brown

Mar 23, 2021, 4:56:43 PM3/23/21
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
If you've never been to Shapiros, they have a huge selection of used, reclaimed, and left over metals, in various sizes, shapes, etc. You have to search it yourself generally, but you can absolutely find smaller (and larger) pieces there. It's reasonably organized by type, given the size and amount available.  It can be a dangerous way to spend an afternoon :)

Amberly

(I have not, however, shopped there since COVID outbreak, not sure if they still just let you wander around)

eAddict

Mar 23, 2021, 6:19:24 PM3/23/21
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!  Will give them a call in the a.m. and maybe they can let me know if they have it vs wandering around.

Jim S

Mar 24, 2021, 12:55:02 PM3/24/21
to Arch Reactor
Sounds like you are talking about "flashing".  (no, not THAT kind of flashing!  :)  ).  It's thin aluminum used on siding and windows and such like to shed water.  It's about the thickness you describe and often prepainted.  It can be bent sharply without cracking the paint.  Big box stores have it but in bigger rolls than you need.  If you can find someone that does siding or gutter work they should be able to make the part easily.  They use a brake to bend it.

Jim S

Mar 24, 2021, 12:57:36 PM3/24/21
to Arch Reactor
With metal flashing like this the edges are usually bent back on itself and pressed flat to eliminate exposed sharp edges.

Arch Reactor, Sergeant At Arms

Mar 24, 2021, 5:21:45 PM3/24/21
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
AR does have a bending tool of sorts.  It it about 30" long but it needs clamped down to hold the metal securely,

For metal, I recommend "Metal Supermarket" (https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/).  Their prices are usually better than Shapiro and will custom cut a piece for a very nominal price.  They are near I-170 & Olive (9427 Dielman Rock Island Industrial Drive St. Louis, MO, 63132).

Craig

Jonathan H

Mar 24, 2021, 7:15:33 PM3/24/21
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Plus one for Metal Supermarket in Olivette. The people there really know their stuff, and it's a much calmer atmosphere than Shapiro. However, sometimes Shapiro's, uh, "energy" and vast size are just what the doctor ordered. Also, I can confirm that Shapiro does still let you wander around. Bring your mask, though - and if you decide to check out their "across the street" warehouse, pack a lunch, because it can take all day just to browse through all the crazy stuff they have in it.

Jonathan