Nov 8th -- LAN Party

Frank Kallal

Oct 2, 2013, 10:15:35 AM10/2/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
So this is Happening :)

Plan is to Bring a Switch and some Power strips and Play games all night Long.

Questions :

Regular Switch (10/100)  or Gig Switch (10/100/1000)?
--- I have access to both, but the Gig is overrated if not everyone has a Gig LAN Connection.

What Games are folks looking at?
--- FPS?  RTS?  MineCraft?  I've been outa the LAN Scene for a while so are there other Options?

Who all Thinks they will attend?
we have a pretty decently long table, But I can bring additional if needed.

Food?
Seek Funding for it, Or do a 5$ entry fee like Boardgame day

Entry Fee In General?
I think not this first time, but this is definitely something we could in the long run have an attendance fee on, if nothing else to cover the Electric bill it will help generate.

Age Limits?  Adults Only?  Older Kids?
I know i have a 14 year old that would love to attend something like this, but I don't want to bring him unless it's atleast an Older kid accessible event.

Thoughts on all of the above?

~fk

Chris Weiss

Oct 2, 2013, 10:23:36 AM10/2/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
gigE is probably worth it for the servers.

BlackTalon

Oct 4, 2013, 2:27:09 PM10/4/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I will attend.

I vote for a FPS, maybe an old one like Unreal Tournament (Which is now free) or Counter Strike.

BlackTalon

Oct 9, 2013, 9:18:17 AM10/9/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I have 2 friends that are interested in attending.  They want to know the game(s) we have decided on and the start time.

Ryan/baslisks

Oct 9, 2013, 9:19:12 AM10/9/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I forgot about this. If we want free games, we can play tf2 and the like. I am pretty much ok with whatever fps I get to beat you all at.

George Fetters

Oct 9, 2013, 4:36:41 PM10/9/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Ok so its going to be an FPS and Ryan as volunteered to be my new meat shield.  What time do we start?

BlackTalon

Oct 22, 2013, 4:02:32 PM10/22/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Lets make a decision on the age limit.  I have another person who wants to come and bring his 14 year old son.

Vote for one of these.

1. Any age Kids can play if accompanied and supervised by a parent.
2. Kids over 14  can play if accompanied and supervised by a parent.
3. No Kids under 18.

Ryan/baslisks

Oct 22, 2013, 4:03:07 PM10/22/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
2

Travis Megee

Oct 22, 2013, 4:08:34 PM10/22/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
IMHO it depends on the games being played.

Travis

Ryan/baslisks

Oct 22, 2013, 4:09:04 PM10/22/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
wild crazy sex party with an extra serving of blood, of course.

Frank Kallal

Oct 22, 2013, 4:16:05 PM10/22/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
#2 is probably the best option :)

Chris Weiss

Oct 22, 2013, 4:31:54 PM10/22/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
2, but modify to 13, to match the "teen" rating on games.

George Fetters

Oct 22, 2013, 7:02:12 PM10/22/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Ok 2 it is.

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 3:31 PM, Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
2, but modify to 13, to match the "teen" rating on games.

George Fetters

Oct 22, 2013, 7:03:12 PM10/22/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Next Question.  Are we set on Team Fortress 2?

1. yes
2. no

Ryan/baslisks

Oct 22, 2013, 7:24:41 PM10/22/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

ROB K

Oct 22, 2013, 7:32:00 PM10/22/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
1

Team fortress 2 is free from steam so it should be good to go for most.

L4D2 would work for the extra serving of blood. For the sex party I'm not so sure.....

Andrew Ricke

Oct 22, 2013, 8:18:40 PM10/22/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
TF2... I suspect Megee's hand guiding that decision.

I also wanted to play some rounds of Starcraft 2 if anyone else does. I'm apparently horrible at it now.

Andrew
-Sent from my iPhone

Ryan/baslisks

Oct 22, 2013, 9:01:59 PM10/22/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Dota!

EschewObfuscation

Oct 22, 2013, 9:30:56 PM10/22/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I'd agree, it sounds less arbitrary, likely makes no practical difference, and is consistent with the "yay, I'm 13 and get to do more stuff!" meme.

George Fetters

Oct 23, 2013, 10:10:14 AM10/23/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I vote 1 tf2.

Scott R.

Oct 23, 2013, 11:01:04 PM10/23/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
TF2, DOTA and Starcraft are cool with me.

On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 9:10:14 AM UTC-5, BlackTalon wrote:
I vote 1 tf2.

On Tuesday, October 22, 2013 3:31:54 PM UTC-5, ||cw wrote:
2, but modify to 13, to match the "teen" rating on games.

Frank Kallal

Nov 8, 2013, 10:18:46 AM11/8/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Ok so this is tonight..

I'm bringing a Gig Switch and a pretty fast computer we can use if we need a server.

I'll likely have a box of Cat 5 and a Crimper in-case we need to make some cables.

Anything else I should pre-install?

Anything else I should bring?

Frank

Chris Weiss

Nov 8, 2013, 10:37:27 AM11/8/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
extension cords and power strips. 4-5 high end gaming rigs working
hard can max a circuit pretty easily.

George Fetters

Nov 8, 2013, 11:06:18 AM11/8/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
install team fortress 2 and DOTA 2.

On Friday, November 8, 2013, Chris Weiss wrote:
extension cords and power strips.  4-5 high end gaming rigs working
hard can max a circuit pretty easily.

Ryan/baslisks

Nov 8, 2013, 11:11:05 AM11/8/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Ryan/baslisks

Nov 8, 2013, 11:15:09 AM11/8/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
we won't need heaters tonight.

Frank Kallal

Nov 8, 2013, 11:30:21 AM11/8/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Heh Chris,

At first I read that as

Bring Extension cables / Power Cords
Bring 4-5 High end gaming rigs

I was like what does he think i do at home :)

but yeah i'll have at least 2 Extensions cables, and 2 power strips.

I should also have my laptop and my eldest son.

Frank Kallal

Nov 8, 2013, 2:26:20 PM11/8/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Definitely have these (team fortress 2 and DOTA 2.) installed before you get to the space.. They are 11 gigs worth of downloading and that will be excessive over the connection there.

Ryan/baslisks

Nov 8, 2013, 2:31:25 PM11/8/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
the space connection is actually pretty nice.

Ryan/baslisks

Nov 8, 2013, 2:31:39 PM11/8/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
also dota 2 patched yesterday and so did team fortress.

Frank Kallal

Nov 8, 2013, 2:48:05 PM11/8/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Yeah it is.. :)  but 3 or 4 people pulling down 11 gigs might be a bit excessive :)

Ryan/baslisks

Nov 8, 2013, 9:59:54 PM11/8/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

George Fetters

Nov 8, 2013, 10:35:20 PM11/8/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
couldn't make it tonight people wanted to see my house.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/arch-reactor/CAEcNqsHoDthc1DXTJ1mxMV2e1q4HO%3DGrYDGWuJA_pt0aAgmPWQ%40mail.gmail.com.

ROB K

Nov 9, 2013, 9:37:03 PM11/9/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I was planning on going until work had me do a last minute drive to Dallas,TX I got back at 6am Saturday morning..

nfolken

Nov 11, 2013, 10:35:22 AM11/11/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, work had me driving to Indianapolis :(