TechShop has chosen St. Louis as an expansion location. No info of where or when, but likely in early 2014.

Gene J. (GeekTinker)

Oct 27, 2013, 8:26:22 AM10/27/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Steve Rutter

Nov 2, 2013, 2:11:18 AM11/2/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
That's awesome. Since I signed up for the veterans thing, maybe I won't have to travel to Detroit . . .

Gene J. (GeekTinker)

Nov 4, 2013, 2:19:26 PM11/4/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I also highly recommend the book "The Maker Movement Manifesto" by Mark Hatch, CEO of Techshop. http://tinyurl.com/kpg35jc

Deech

Nov 4, 2013, 8:02:54 PM11/4/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
It's a potential location. It's on the list, provided they find investors and funding for it.

Robert Ward

Nov 4, 2013, 11:05:21 PM11/4/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
On 11/04/2013 07:02 PM, Deech wrote:
> It's a potential location. It's on the list, provided they find investors
> and funding for it.

I've heard from a few people who should know that Wash U, the Cortex
incubator, and a handful of other business have basically promised all
the cash they'll need to start one here.

Gene J. (GeekTinker)

Nov 7, 2013, 5:45:14 AM11/7/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com, rob...@rtward.com
Read more: Now That JOBS Act Is Law, Startups Look to Expand - Popular Mechanics
http://www.popularmechanics.com/how-to/blog/now-that-jobs-act-is-law-startups-look-to-expand-15962384?click=pm_latest

"Jim Newton, founder and chairman of TechShop, is wasting no time putting the new law to use. Newton wants to raise $60 million to aggressively expand his DIY workshops across the nations in cities such as Boston, Cedar Valley, St. Louis, and even allows write-ins for future locations on its website. Although the new law caps public fundraising to $1 million, potential for private investor capital is endless."

I doubt St. Louis would have been mentioned specifically in this article if it wasn't already in the works.  Otherwise, it would be another city you could "write-in" to suggest as a location.

Deech

Nov 14, 2013, 12:29:25 AM11/14/13
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
From their page:

"Each loan commitment will be specific to the location you select, and the loan will only be funded if we receive the minimum commitments for that city (between $2M and $3.5M depending on the city)."

That's pretty much what I was working from. I haven't heard or seen anything firmer than rumor that St. Louis has the funding. We very well might. I was just pointing out that caveat from the investment page.

Keith Rogers

Feb 27, 2014, 2:06:15 PM2/27/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

John Reskusich

Feb 27, 2014, 2:41:37 PM2/27/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I like how their open forum occurs midweek, midday.   by "like", I really mean "don't like"

John

Gene J. (GeekTinker)

Feb 28, 2014, 7:53:50 AM2/28/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I went to the forum. It was good, but it didn't really give any information that couldn't be found online. If you have any questions, you can email the COO, Dan Woods at daniel.woods (at) techshop.com.  When I spoke to him after the meeting, he even said that as they get closer to opening the St. Louis location he, or somebody from TechShop, would be willing to visit Arch Reactor and speak directly to us about it. Alternatively, they may hold a meeting specifically for Makerspaces and Hackerspaces in St. Louis at some point. He was very receptive to my question about how TechShop works with the existing maker community.

The entire meeting yesterday was recorded, but I'm not sure where it will be distributed.

Gene J. (GeekTinker)

Feb 28, 2014, 11:36:46 AM2/28/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Here are two files from the pamphlet they handed out yesterday at the meeting. The first is the agenda, info about TechShop, about it's partnerships, a few examples of success stories, and the TechShop St. Louis Pre-Commitment Membership Form.

The second file is a chart showing the cost of membership and training at TechShop.

They stated that they are about 1/3rd of the way towards their goal of 1000 memberships. Not all memberships have to come from individuals pockets. An employer may choose to purchase memberships or training packages as a perk of the job.  GE pays for about 1000 scholarship memberships to Veterans each year. Some hefty discounts have been granted to the members of other Hackerspaces in areas near other TechShop locations, but I do not know the specifics.

At least 15 permanent positions will be open at the TechShop location, as well as contracted positions for instructors of the various training classes. The hours of the TechShop are 9 am to midnight every day except major holidays.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16059511/Arch%20Reactor/TechShopSTLForum.pdf

Gene

EschewObfuscation

Feb 28, 2014, 5:02:59 PM2/28/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
They certainly have nice technical assets available. I'm not sure why, in the current interest rate environment, they need a 1.2-1.5 million annual revenue commitment to support 1 million of investment in durable machinery. Then again, I don't pretend to be good at business.

Chris Weiss

Feb 28, 2014, 5:06:32 PM2/28/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
because operating a climate controlled shop ain't cheap. my
workplace's (basically a big machine shop) power bill alone is about
$40K per month, though it is at least 4-5 times the size that techshop
will be.

John Reskusich

Feb 28, 2014, 5:10:14 PM2/28/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
So, I reached out the the guy organizing this that Gene mentioned.  He is interested in visiting the space.  I made sure to let him know he was welcome and that given the heads up we would make sure somebody was available to meet with him and give him a tour.

John

Gene J. (GeekTinker)

Feb 28, 2014, 5:54:30 PM2/28/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I'd much rather see him come by for a tour on a Tuesday night or a Sunday night when we have a meeting and people are actively using the space. Like TechShop, the true value of our space is the collaborative environment in which we can work together.

Gene

EschewObfuscation

Mar 1, 2014, 10:25:34 PM3/1/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like a very comfy shop. I'm guessing that includes AC in the summer.

I think that if I start saving now, by the time techshop opens, I might be able to afford a day pass. I don't think they offer those, but one can always hope...

Gene J. (GeekTinker)

Mar 2, 2014, 10:31:54 AM3/2/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Much like Arch Reactor, apparently TechShop won't be a good match for everyone. However, if a project started by a member at AR becomes a viable business plan, the resources available at TechShop would far outweigh the associated costs. It's not even a "glass is half full" scenario, but more like a "how many glasses can we fill" scenario. I happen to believe that "the glass is half empty" attitude doesn't make a good match for either location. Anyone who wants it bad enough will find a way to pay for it.

GE offers over a thousand membership scholarship TechShop memberships for Veterans each year. A program that could be expanded as other companies do the same.

John Reskusich

Mar 2, 2014, 2:14:46 PM3/2/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Gene,

While I agree that it is a good opportunity,  I know that it would take some extraordinary circumstances to put me in the position where I would feel comfortable with that pricing.  That is a lot of money to commit without factoring in the required training courses/tests to use their equipment.  It's probably reasonable costs.  But, it is just out of reach for most people.  I hope they find a way to thrive here.  But, I wonder if there are people with that sort of money with that desire in the numbers they need.  Imagine what AR could offer if we had over a million dollars a year in member revenue.  We can't even $20k.  And we struggle to keep people at that level.  It's just outside the budget of somebody that is experimenting and teaching themselves stuff.  I suspect that enrolling in a university with a good shop might be a better deal.  I am not trying to be pessimistic.  I just wonder how good a deal this really is and whether people will buy in.  I hope they do come here.  Maybe one day I will find the money to play.

John

On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 9:31 AM, Gene J. (GeekTinker) <gene....@gmail.com> wrote:
Much like Arch Reactor, apparently TechShop won't be a good match for everyone. However, if a project started by a member at AR becomes a viable business plan, the resources available at TechShop would far outweigh the associated costs. It's not even a "glass is half full" scenario, but more like a "how many glasses can we fill" scenario. I happen to believe that "the glass is half empty" attitude doesn't make a good match for either location. Anyone who wants it bad enough will find a way to pay for it.

GE offers over a thousand membership scholarship TechShop memberships for Veterans each year. A program that could be expanded as other companies do the same.

EschewObfuscation

Mar 2, 2014, 6:58:56 PM3/2/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Yes, for a small business, it's a bargain at 125 or 150/month.

I hope they do open here, and find enough people in this area willing and able to afford it that the resource remains available, should I at some point have the need-and-resources bundle to make use of it.

Maybe I'll get really lucky, and like restaurants that say "xxx-day is always slow for us, we will offer a special to pull people in that day of the week", they will see a similar pattern and offer day pass specials for that day of the week or something. Maybe a day pass deal for AR members, like the traditional "offer a coupon, entice a new customer" marketing approach.

It surely would be pleasant to be able to write a check for 1500 without giving up food or living indoors.

EschewObfuscation

Mar 2, 2014, 7:57:57 PM3/2/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
On Sunday, March 2, 2014 5:58:56 PM UTC-6, EschewObfuscation wrote:
... Maybe a day pass deal for AR members, like the traditional "offer a coupon, entice a new customer" marketing approach.

Actually, the more I think about this, the better I like it. If we could swing a deal of that sort (AR gets a virtual membership that lets members buy a day pass, whether that's generally offered or not), that would benefit both organizations. TS gets people through the door, some of whom may at some point be seduced into a regular membership there. AR gains a perk that may entice more people to join up, even if initially it's only to gain access to those day passes.

If/when TS/Stl gels, we should make a major effort to get a deal like that in place.

Gene J. (GeekTinker)

Mar 4, 2014, 9:09:20 AM3/4/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
John,

That is my point. Just as Arch Reactor isn't for everyone, TechShop isn't going to be for everyone either. Especially somebody that is just experimenting and teaching themselves stuff.  For some, Arch Reactor is enough to satisfy their maker cravings. For others, what TechShop has to offer will be the only way to scratch that itch.  There are still going to be a few who want to be a part of both. Arch Reactor and TechShop exist for completely different purposes in the maker-verse (maker-sphere?), but I think both will prove to be a valuable asset to each other.

If a person sees the value of Arch Reactor, and wants to be a part of it bad enough, they will make the financial and time sacrifices needed to become a member. The same goes for a person who sees the value of TechShop. They will find a way to get themselves through the door regardless of financial obligation.  I personally plan cut my expenses and spending enough to afford the membership fee at TechShop (although I am hoping to again qualify for one of the Veteran's scholarships). I am also hoping that AR can negotiate a much lower discounted rate with TechShop for our members. They do offer student discounts as well, so your suggestion of enrolling in a university is valid. Part of the reason TechShop exists is for the students who want to carry on with a project they were doing in college, but no longer have access to the equipment at their school once they graduate.

I think Arch Reactor is in a position to benefit from the addition of TechShop to St. Louis in a variety of ways.

1) If members of Arch Reactor are also members of TechShop it expands our pool of knowledge, access to some amazing equipment, and access to people who are trained on that equipment.
2) It could draw more members in our direction, both from those who are members of TechShop and those who like the idea but do not want to pay the cost of a membership there.
3) Should a person develop a business plan out of whatever project they are working on at TechShop, they may need the assistance of some of our members to get it finished by their deadline. Our members could be a pool to draw from when knowledgeable talent and willing participants are needed.

Gene

Gene J. (GeekTinker)

Mar 4, 2014, 9:15:00 AM3/4/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
NoiseBridge members get a 50% discount to TechShop and extend the same discount to TechShop members who wish to join NoiseBridge.  I'm sure we could request a similar discount for our members once TechShop is becoming a reality in St. Louis.

John Reskusich

Mar 4, 2014, 10:38:54 AM3/4/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Interesting.