Looking for a shipping source AND suggestions

Vince Laurent

Aug 13, 2021, 10:44:40 AM8/13/21
to Arch Reactor
While out of town I have access to the laser cutter in the local Maker Space.  Sadly I didn't bring any material out with me.  What might I find locally?  What can I get shipped quickly?

I know there was a list of materials to stay away from too...

Thanks!
Vince

p.s.  And any suggestions for a starter project would be welcome too
20210812_171310.jpg

Frank Kallal

Aug 13, 2021, 2:05:24 PM8/13/21
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Hey Vince,

So for Local stuff.
Home Depot - Thin Clear Acrylic, thin Hobby plywood.
Lowes -- Same as Home Depot.
Rockler -- multitudes of sizes and Species of Woods.
Woodcraft -- Same as Rockler.
tandy Leather -- for all your leather needs.. (https://tandyleather.com/pages/store-locator)

Look for a local Mill or Lumber store as well.

See if the Space has someone with access to a local JDS Or Marco location, or if you are there long enough Johnson Premie Plastics
Note : that you need a Business License to access atleast JDS, so that may or may not be an option.

JDS - https://www.jdsindustries.com/index.php?view=locations
Marco - https://marcoawardsgroup.com/locations
JPP - https://www.jpplus.com/locations/

you might also find a Regal or COPE plastics Locally.

As for a list of things to stay away from.  PVC, Vinyl  are the two really serious things to avoid, as the Fumes are Both Toxic and damaging to the laser.  other than that, anything that produces Toxic Fumes that can't be properly disposed of.

frank