The Modules Fell Apart – Google Cancels Ara

D1080

Sep 4, 2016, 10:46:23 PM9/4/16
to Ara Module Developers

Tim Southwick

Sep 5, 2016, 7:25:58 PM9/5/16
to Ara Module Developers
I have yet to see anything about this from Google, only from news sources citing themselves or other new sources that are doing the same thing. The closest I've heard to this being true is from an "anonymous Google employee", which as far as I'm concerned could just as easily be from anyone outside of Google. I want to hear something official, preferably disproving this.

Bryce Wilson

Sep 6, 2016, 12:21:57 PM9/6/16
to Ara Module Developers
Me too I put a lot of time and money into Ara so I hope it won't be closed.

Tim Southwick

Sep 10, 2016, 12:43:59 AM9/10/16
to Ara Module Developers
Here's what we've heard since the Verge's article:

Nothing from https://twitter.com/GoogleATAP
Nothing from https://twitter.com/ProjectAra/following
Nothing from https://atap.google.com/ara/, which is still active and featuring "Developer Edition Shipping Fall 2016" prominently on the top of the main page.

As we've all seen so far, news from the Ara team is slow (and highly anticipated). But, I would imagine if Ara was being shelved, one of these official sources would have updated by now.

Garrett Kinsman

Sep 23, 2016, 10:55:05 AM9/23/16
to Ara Module Developers
I am terribly saddened by the news. ARA brought me to San Francisco at 18, and got me a job at a startup building hardware. This led to me living in India and all the wild adventures that have ensued! I owe it all to the people I met at DEVCON I.

What keeps me moving forward is knowing that ARA is possible. It worked. The battery may have been terrible, and modules may fall out, but basic prototypes were built. The software worked in its most basic form.

Like Nuclear rocket engines, and free wireless Internet, the technology to do amazing things exists right now. And as we advance our knowledge in software, silicon and battery technology, ARA will become easier and easier to build.

If you're reading this you've been with ARA till the end, and you've likely been here since the beginning.

From ATAP to working prototypes, ARA will always be close to us. It will be a symbol of choice, of computing for 10 billion people.

I write these words late on a Friday in Bangalore, India, in the secret offices of Ola Labs. Coders surround me imagining, designing, and building. I dream of the future, of ARA and beyond.

ARA is not dead, it lives on in the hearts and mind of thousands that it influenced. I would not have learned CAD, or dropped out of college, or moved to SF, or ended ended up homeless after the crash, or moved to India, visited China! or learned what I have learned if not for ARA. ARA has changed my destiny, and hopefully enabled me to change many more.

If anyone fellow ARAs are in Bangalore, I'd love to meet up and chat.

~