Membership

bobreyn...@gmail.com

May 11, 2017, 11:33:11 PM5/11/17
to AR MARS Ask The Chief
Chief:

I was a MARS member about 3 years ago, but MARS dropped me because I was not making the nets. That's because my work sked conflicted with the net times.

I am now retired and may reapply. My question: My radio supplier will not "open" the radio to transmit on MARS frequencies unless I have some documention from MARS. I don't dare to try the mod myself because I have Parkinson's.

Any direction would be appreciated.

73'

Bob
WB3DYE

David McGinnis

May 11, 2017, 11:54:38 PM5/11/17
to AR MARS Ask The Chief
Bob

After you apply and are accepted back into AMARS, you will receive a "welcome letter" that serves as the provisional Authorization to Operate (ATO) until you complete training. That letter is the document you present your radio dealer for opening the radio.

We no longer issue MARS "Licenses". Only the NTIA and FCC are authorized to issue radio "licenses". We now issue what we call an ATO. Most radio dealers that do MARS modifications are now familiar with this distinction so the change in terminology should not be an issue.