internet used during Training

Defense Dynamics

Oct 23, 2019, 9:37:57 PM10/23/19
to AR MARS Ask The Chief
If in a comex we are suppose to operate without internet, but when we train we are always using the internet. This make no sense. Training is suppose to emulate a real world condition.

David McGinnis

Oct 23, 2019, 9:54:39 PM10/23/19
to ar-mars-as...@googlegroups.com
The internet is used in different ways during training and /or an exercise.

For instance, internet can be used to perform administrative functions, such as sending participation reports or checking into an exercise, performing an after action report, because these functions would be deferred during an actual incident.  Using internet is a fast, effective way to perform administrative tasks that are exercise-isms otherwise not be performed during an actual incident.

The internet may also be used to deliver training, or technical support during an exercise or training.  We used to do all training over the air in AMARS.  Not only was this an unsecure environment to discuss Tactics, Techniques and Procedures (TTP), it was an unreliable one and did not facilitate an interactive exchange among those being trained, or between those being trained and the trainer.  A telephone bridge and other internet collaboration tools such as in APAN does this much better.  When I was a MARS member, it was not uncommon to be asked to listen to a "trainer" transmit for twenty minutes reading from a script about a topic, with a weak signal in which only every third word was intelligible, and get absolutely nothing from the "training".  Today, delivery of training over the air is prohibited in Army MARS because it is not only because it is the least secure environment to discuss TTP, but because it is also the least effective way we can do training.  We exercise tasks on the air, we discuss those tasks off air.

There are some tasks that the internet should not be used.  For instance, we are aware that in some places METAR are resourced from web sites and transmitted as weather information by radio.  If your concern is that that these kinds of tasks are being performed using internet, then I am interested in learning much more about what you are experiencing.

Likewise, if your Region or State trainer is not performing up to task, and your leadership is not responsive to your concerns, then please contact either Paul or I directly.