Requirement for a Dedicated PC for MARS comms

mysti...@gmail.com

May 21, 2018, 6:43:57 PM5/21/18
to AR MARS Ask The Chief
Per MS-DMT group email and several other postings including Facebook, Steve Hajducek requires
* a dedicated PC
* Air Gap (to what? The radio? the Network?)
* Directed setup ???
* "best possible PC sound device"
* don't take Windows update

Will MARS provide these PCs? I don't know too many people with that sort of discretionary funds.
Will MARS issue a regulation to codify the air gap and the directed setup (none of the manuals provided are up to date)
Will MARS define and issue guidance on this "best possible sound device"? (same funding question)

"don't take windows update" is in direct violation of
* FISMA https://www.dhs.gov/fisma
https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/senate-bill/2521
* NIST https://csrc.nist.gov/Projects/Risk-Management/Risk-Management-Framework-(RMF)-Overview

* and all the DoD Regulations and Instructions requiring the same
(http://www.esd.whs.mil/Portals/54/Documents/DD/issuances/dodi/851001_2014.pdf)

What is the real bottom line on what is required to be a MARS member?

May 29, 2018, 2:49:20 PM5/29/18
to AR MARS Ask The Chief
mysti...@gmail.com,

Thanks for you email. We are encouraging members to use stand alone computer systems and are beginning to exercise this in our quarterly exercises.

The remarks you are referring to are attributed to Mr. Hajducek and represent his advice for best practices regarding operation of the software he developed. This advice is based on many years experience operating the software in the MARS member environment.

MARS members' computer systems are expected to function in a unique environment. As you know, MARS members are volunteers who provide their own equipment and are therefore not subject to the various FISMA and NIST policies you quote.

We are not willing to discuss specific threats to computer systems with unknown persons in this venue.

v/r

Paul English
Chief Army MARS