Update 3Dmodel-fabm-AED to 3Dmodel-AED2

白大荷

Mar 20, 2019, 12:58:01 AM3/20/19
to Aquatic Ecosystem MOdelling Network (AEMON) discussion forum
Hi,

I am a PhD student working on coupling an open source 3-D hydrodynamic model with AED2. I saw the AED2 developer support webpage is still under construction so I am writing to ask 2 questions:

(1) Former PhD student has coupled Si3D-fabm-aed in 2015, but it seems aed2 does not use fabm framework anymore. Does it mean his previous work is of no practical use to me?

(2) Could you provide any hint or advice on the coupling process of the 3-D hydrodynamic model and AED2?

Thank you for reading my post.

Fenjuan Hu

Mar 20, 2019, 4:36:48 AM3/20/19
to aquaticm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bai
    I work with FABM since 2012, and AED was in fabm format since then, but they did not update the code according to fabm updates. Until last year, I started to looked at AED2 source code on GitHub, https://github.com/AquaticEcoDynamics/libaed2, and the code structure is still very similar to what they had in FABM structure. So I assume they use similar technique for coupling to hydrodynamic hosts, such as GLM.
    I do not know the detailed techniques coupling aed2 to GLM, but I think you know more about Delft3D’s details on how to couple a ecosystem model to it? As far as I read, Delft has an interface called DELWAQ? But I don’t think it’s on a computational step wise interaction, which FABM provides that.  The thing here is , FABM does not have Delft3d in its hydrodynamic hosts list, but I think it’s not technically impossible to add though. (https://github.com/fabm-model/fabm/wiki/Using-FABM-from-a-physical-model). On the other hand, FABM already had an AED version, but it’s up to the development team if they would like to contribute to updating their FABM code to the newer version.
    If you are you interested in FABM approach, then you can try to ask in this group. (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/fabm-users)

Fenjuan Hu, Ph.D
Postdoc at Lake ecology group
Department of Bioscience, Aarhus University

白大荷

Mar 20, 2019, 8:20:33 AM3/20/19
to Aquatic Ecosystem MOdelling Network (AEMON) discussion forum
 Hi Fenjuan,

 Thank you so much for your quick response! It helps a lot.

 As you mentioned, I have two approach to complete this updating task : (1) create an interface between Si3D (sorry I did not state the name of the 3-D model before, it is Si3D, not Delft3D); (2) update aed code under fabm framework to aed2. Now I decided to do (2), since I cannot find official guide on AED2 website about creating interface between AED2 and a new hydrodynamic model. ( I tried to contact the developer group but did not receive response.)

 I will try the FABM approach and I will ask in FABM group if I encounter difficulties.

Bai

在 2019年3月20日星期三 UTC+11下午7:36:48,Fenjuan Hu写道:

bariflo-labs Pvt LTD

Sep 11, 2021, 3:26:58 AM9/11/21
to Aquatic Ecosystem MOdelling Network (AEMON) discussion forum
Hi Bai,

Are you working on Si3D-FABM?

or anyone working on it?