Running GLM - New User

Reden Armand Mallare

Sep 15, 2020, 8:49:27 AM9/15/20
to Aquatic Ecosystem MOdelling Network (AEMON) discussion forum
Hi! I am a new user of GLM and I am not familiar how it operates. I already downloaded the Binaries and Examples from the GLM website (version 3.0 to be exact). As far as I've read, I need the namelist file from the Examples and the batch file to run the program. However, I cannot find any detailed step by step tutorial on how to run it properly.

Every time I click the batch file, a command prompt window opens and then closes right away. I am a new user of this program so I would appreciate if anyone from this forum can help me learn this program.

Robert Ladwig

Sep 15, 2020, 12:59:08 PM9/15/20
to Aquatic Ecosystem MOdelling Network (AEMON) discussion forum
Hi,

You can find a simple setup for GLM which I have used in a workshop last year here: https://github.com/gsagleon/G21_GSA_workshop/tree/master/D_GLM/Data
Just download the files glm3.nml and the folder bcs/, then add your batch file (which should include the path to your GLM executable) to that folder and double-click it.
If your batch file opens up and closes immediately, add PAUSE in a new line to it, this will help you understanding why GLM didn't run properly.

In that Github repo you will also find a PPTX presentation explaining GLM.

Otherwise, you can also find example setups on the official GLM repo: https://github.com/AquaticEcoDynamics/GLM_Examples

Good luck!
Robert

Reden Armand Mallare

Sep 15, 2020, 11:40:46 PM9/15/20
to aquaticm...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thank you for this! I'll try your suggestion to see if I can make it work.

-Reden

Reden Armand Mallare

Sep 16, 2020, 9:03:56 AM9/16/20
to aquaticm...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thank you so much for the help. I tried doing what you suggested and it worked! I even found your resources helpful. I can now run GLM using just the batch file or using RStudio (I am still learning this). Anyway, thank you again.

It seems that the problem is my files are located in my drive D instead of using the drive C. Adding quotation marks to the complete file path fixed the problem in the batch file.

Regards,

Reden