Advice on GLM troubleshooting

JZ007

Sep 5, 2022, 9:38:41 PM9/5/22
to Aquatic Ecosystem MOdelling Network (AEMON) discussion forum
Hi, I am new to GLM community and would like to ask for some suggestions on running a model file I prepared but was not ran successfully:
(1) I started my model with the Woods example downloaded from the Github platform.
My site specific input data were saved in the bcs folder as CSV format. Time format was defined as "yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss" for hourly met data. Daily flow rates and water quality data were saved in the "yyyy-mm-dd" format. I also double-checked this time format in my model version.
(2) glm.bat file was edited and directed to the right GLM version.
(3)  glm3.nml were updated to site-specific input. At this stage, major input parameters are lake geometry, model time/boundary setting, input and output files, meteorology data and sediment data.
(4) I have a question on the sediment zone_heights setting in the Woods example, which defined 3 sedment zones but the zone_heights are 10, 40 and 90 meter while the depth of the lake is only 5 m?  This may be not the cause of my problem.
(5) The log file indicated that my model is up to "Sediment zones being set at    10.0    40.0    90.0 ..." and did not show "simulation begins"... I waited for a while but no progress from the system, either Version 3.2.0a8 or Version 3.1.9.
(6) I am also aware of the possible causes mentioned on the UWA website (https://aed.see.uwa.edu.au/research/models/glm/faqs.html) and double checked but no improvement.
Thank you very much for your attentions.
Cheers,
Jade

matt.hipsey

Sep 7, 2022, 10:34:49 AM9/7/22
to Aquatic Ecosystem MOdelling Network (AEMON) discussion forum
Hi Jade
Welcome to the GLM community - I think since you are starting a new setup, it may be best if you first try the examples and version v3.3, which is the latest version now released through the GitHub directly (rather than the website).
If you have issues running with this version, then we'll be happy to help you isolate the issue with the setup, feel free to post here or in the GitHub issues.
Best wishes
Matt

JZ007

Sep 14, 2022, 8:23:27 AM9/14/22
to Aquatic Ecosystem MOdelling Network (AEMON) discussion forum

Hi Matt,

Thanks very much for your warm welcome. I finally solved my issue - "num_depths" was originally defined as "1" for the initial condition setting. I was thinking of modeling the inital water depth from ~0m. It looks like that will not be simulated by GLM. That is all fixed now.

I am cross-checking simulated water levels by GLM and another program used by the project. It looks like GLM results are about 10m lower when the system water level approaches stable. I am looking at the lake file ("csv_lake_fname"), which displays a list of parameters with no units. Where can I find more information (e.g. data source and unit) if I need details on those parameters? One parameter I am paying extra attention to at this stage is "Evaporation". There is a long list of parameters from ECMWF website (https://apps.ecmwf.int/codes/grib/param-db/). Would you mind giving me some advices on which one to look at?

Thank you very much.

Kind regards,

Jade