Units of the aed2_phytoplankton module variables

Gabriela Gomes Nogueira Sales

Apr 24, 2020, 9:07:46 PM4/24/20
to Aquatic Ecosystem MOdelling Network (AEMON) discussion forum
Hello,

I would like to know, please, what is the unit of these variables of the aed2_phytoplankton module: PHY_ {Group}, PHY_ {Group} _IN and PHY_ {Group} _IP.
On the AED website, it says that the PHY_ {Group} unit (phytoplankton group) is mmol/m³, but it doesn't speak of what, if it's mmol of carbon or includes other parameters, such as phosphorus and nitrogen.

Best regards,
Gabriela

matt.hipsey

Apr 25, 2020, 9:14:14 PM4/25/20
to Aquatic Ecosystem MOdelling Network (AEMON) discussion forum
Hi Gabriela

The phytoplankton groups are modelled in mmol C/m3, and the IN and IP state variables (if selected by simINdynamics etc) are mmol N/m3 and mmol P/m3, respectively. All things in the phytoplankton module are in molar units, except PHY_tchla (which is a diagnostic) which is in ug chla/L, computed based on the user selection of the Xcc parameter. Parameter details are available here: parameters

Apologies for the confusion, we are currently, studying up many aspects of the code, and will update the documentation as we go.

Please dont hesitate to ask if you have further questions

All the best
Matt

On Saturday, 25 April 2020 09:07:46 UTC+8, Gabriela Gomes Nogueira Sales wrote:
Hello,.

Gabriela Gomes Nogueira Sales

Apr 26, 2020, 1:52:42 PM4/26/20
to Aquatic Ecosystem MOdelling Network (AEMON) discussion forum
 Thank you so much for your explanation, Matt! It helps a lot!